What brightness level do you have your 13" Macbook Pro on?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by amt2002, Jul 29, 2010.

1. amt2002 macrumors member

Under normal office lighting, I find anything other than 100% brightness seems too dark.

But I've been getting huge amounts of eye strain so am wondering whether to turn in down some more, say to 50-75%, but worried that will strain my eyes even more :rolleyes:

What do you guys have your 13" set to, assuming good ambient lighting?

2. jshelton macrumors 6502a

3. bhattsan macrumors member

I keep it around 50% around natural light. 100% is too much brightness IMO and you can pull some great batt. life simply by decreasing brightness.

4. amt2002 thread starter macrumors member

Must be me being used to it I guess.

Got it around 50% now and seems so dark - will persevere :D

5. Hisdem macrumors 6502a

Hisdem

I usually have it either at 50 or 1, not much difference to me. I use 1 bar most of the time :)

6. chrisvee macrumors regular

It really depends on what kind of environment I'm in, but usually I'm under 50% brightness.

7. Patdt13 macrumors 6502

When its plugged in its at 100%, when its not its at 50-75%

8. npropes macrumors member

It's very dependent on the environment that you're in. If it is relatively dark with no lights behind you, then under 25% works fine. If you're going to have a window behind you in the daytime, then 100% is generally needed.

The lower you can keep the backlight, the better your battery life will be.

9. altecXP macrumors 65816

I kept mine on about 40-60% when I had a 13in.

10. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

I'm a photographer so I need my monitors calibrated for accurate color and brightness. Brightness is critical to standardize so 1) other people with calibrated monitors see the same thing I see, and 2) prints match what I see -- prints that are too dark are often a result of a monitor that is set too bright so the photo is darkened when edited to 'look correct' on the monitor but is in reality too dark by print standards.

I am typing this from my calibrated iMac but this and my MBP are calibrated to 110 CD/m2 (candles/meter squared) which works for image editing and is also easy on the eyes. As I recall, this setting is roughly 60% and the brightness slider is placed around where the 'ss' is on brightness in the display settings in System Preferences

11. Sirolway macrumors 6502

Agreed. For this reason I keep brightness at about 20% while on battery & 80% when plugged in.
    I'd kind of like to be able to set these as defaults when on battery power in Power Management, but I guess if you start adding everything the Mac OSX interface just gets too fiddly, and hitting the buttons on the keyboard is easy enough ..