What brightness level do you have your 13" Macbook Pro on?

amt2002

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
Under normal office lighting, I find anything other than 100% brightness seems too dark.

But I've been getting huge amounts of eye strain so am wondering whether to turn in down some more, say to 50-75%, but worried that will strain my eyes even more :rolleyes:

What do you guys have your 13" set to, assuming good ambient lighting?

bhattsan

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2010
I keep it around 50% around natural light. 100% is too much brightness IMO and you can pull some great batt. life simply by decreasing brightness.

Comment

amt2002

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2008
Must be me being used to it I guess.

Got it around 50% now and seems so dark - will persevere :D

Comment

npropes

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2010
It's very dependent on the environment that you're in. If it is relatively dark with no lights behind you, then under 25% works fine. If you're going to have a window behind you in the daytime, then 100% is generally needed.

The lower you can keep the backlight, the better your battery life will be.

Comment

Vantage Point

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2010
New Jersey
I'm a photographer so I need my monitors calibrated for accurate color and brightness. Brightness is critical to standardize so 1) other people with calibrated monitors see the same thing I see, and 2) prints match what I see -- prints that are too dark are often a result of a monitor that is set too bright so the photo is darkened when edited to 'look correct' on the monitor but is in reality too dark by print standards.

I am typing this from my calibrated iMac but this and my MBP are calibrated to 110 CD/m2 (candles/meter squared) which works for image editing and is also easy on the eyes. As I recall, this setting is roughly 60% and the brightness slider is placed around where the 'ss' is on brightness in the display settings in System Preferences

Comment

Sirolway

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2009
London
you can pull some great batt. life simply by decreasing brightness.
Agreed. For this reason I keep brightness at about 20% while on battery & 80% when plugged in.
I'd kind of like to be able to set these as defaults when on battery power in Power Management, but I guess if you start adding everything the Mac OSX interface just gets too fiddly, and hitting the buttons on the keyboard is easy enough ..

Comment