What brightness setting do you have set on your iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by rgarjr, Jul 16, 2009.

1. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I'm just wondering what brightness setting some of you iMac owners have yours set too. Mine is all the way low and would want to go even further lower since its very bright.

2. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

Mine is about a third of the way from the bottom setting. It is bright but not too bright in my opinion.

3. JRML970 macrumors member

I found that even with the brightness all the way down it was just a little to bright. I found a simple utility called Shades that allows for the brightness to be lowered even more than the factory settings. I've been using it for months and couldn't imagine going back to default settings. :cool:

4. rgarjr thread starter macrumors 603

rgarjr

Thanks for the heads up on that app, will definitely give it a try.

5. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Shades does not lower brightness. It modifies the gamma to simulate reduced brightness but it is important to understand that it does not in fact adjust the actual intensity of the backlight lamp any further than Apple's firmware already allows. That lamp is still at the level of the lowest setting. Therefore, this is not an option for those who are very concerned about adverse effects to color depth and contrast.

The only way the brightness will actually be lowered below the minimum setting currently for the iMac is if Apple releases a firmware update to do so.

To answer the OP's question I set my brightness to one tick below 50% brightness and find it comfortable to my eyes on my mid-2007 24" iMac.

6. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

i thought i had mine at 1-2 above the bottom but i see now it is actually 1-2 below middle point.

i usually put a light on at night to the right and behind the computer. so maybe that affected my brightness level and it not being too harsh since the light is on.

7. wwwhatsup macrumors newbie

Mine is set to the lowest. But its still to bright for me. :(

8. PurrBall macrumors 6502a

PurrBall

9. Pagga macrumors 6502

Pagga

Closer to the Artic circle than I like to be
    Same here

10. Pagga macrumors 6502

Pagga

Closer to the Artic circle than I like to be
    BTW: I guess you have all noticed the Imac will increase brightnes gradually after sleep. A few minutes and it´s back at normal

11. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The lowest unless there's a lot of sunlight coming through the windows in my room.