Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
iCab Mobile is my iOS browser of choice. Has too many features to list at once but the main things I love about it are:
1) Adblocker
2) Fullscreen support with interchangeable virtual control buttons
3) Ability to download / upload
4) 1Password extension support built in
5) Constantly updated and being improved

#5 is the most important IMO since I used to use Atomic Browser until the developer abandoned it years ago while I've never had that concern with iCab Mobile as the developer seems really dedicated to his app and has always updated it with improvements and compatibility for the latest iOS.

Reactions: jamin00

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
iCab Mobile is my iOS browser of choice. Has too many features to list at once but the main things I love about it are:
1) Adblocker
2) Fullscreen support with interchangeable virtual control buttons
3) Ability to download / upload
4) 1Password extension support built in
5) Constantly updated and being improved

#5 is the most important IMO since I used to use Atomic Browser until the developer abandoned it years ago while I've never had that concern with iCab Mobile as the developer seems really dedicated to his app and has always updated it with improvements and compatibility for the latest iOS.

Does iCab have the ability to sync bookmarks across multiple iOS devices? I swear that's the only reason I put up with Safari on both my phone and iPad, and iCab sounds terrific otherwise.

jamin00

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
Essex, UK.
Good question. I will try this iCab too. I did just download Dolphin and that works ok so far but iCab sounds great

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
Does iCab have the ability to sync bookmarks across multiple iOS devices? I swear that's the only reason I put up with Safari on both my phone and iPad, and iCab sounds terrific otherwise.
Good question. I will try this iCab too. I did just download Dolphin and that works ok so far but iCab sounds great

I believe you can sync bookmarks via iCloud or Firefox sync across devices (although I don't have a 2nd iOS device to say 100%). I took screenshots of the settings portion in case it helps :)

4lwyJwsm.png

3hb5mTBm.png

sB5iU38m.png

Reactions: IrishVixen

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
I believe you can sync bookmarks via iCloud or Firefox sync across devices (although I don't have a 2nd iOS device to say 100%). I took screenshots of the settings portion in case it helps :)

It looks like it should work. Excellent! Thank you for checking, it'll actually be a pretty big help, since I'm about to move to a non jailbroken iPad and was dreading the lack of ad blockers, etc. that makes Safari almost unsuable on a stock iPad.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
I really like Mercury browser. iCab's UI has always felt a bit clunky to me, and Mercury offers most of the features of iCab in a bit more streamlined interface.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
Safari won't open and chrome likes to crash a lot!
Are you using Safari in an iOS device?
I use Safari exclusively in 3 iOS devices and on a MacMini and do not have any problems with it. Have you wiped your phone lately?
Do an encrypted backup to iTunes, wipe your phone and start as new. If Safari opens and works well, restore your back up and see what happens. Sometimes you can get rid of the bad stuff and not loose all your settings and preferences doing that.
No one wants to start over but think of it like getting a new device.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Safari won't open and chrome likes to crash a lot!

If both browsers don't work properly, i'd perhaps check into the health of your install of OS X and or run some hardware diagnostics.

Crashing in one app is one thing, but multiple applications having problems points towards more serious issues.

The Gnome King

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2010
I use Coast, Safari, and Chrome pretty much interchangeably. I haven't had any problems with Chrome, but iCab sounds intriguing.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
Safari ends up being my favorite mainly because I'm used to using the gestures and it seems to perfume well for me overall. Chrome is a decent option too. Mercury can be also.

jamin00

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
Essex, UK.
Are you using Safari in an iOS device?
I use Safari exclusively in 3 iOS devices and on a MacMini and do not have any problems with it. Have you wiped your phone lately?
Do an encrypted backup to iTunes, wipe your phone and start as new. If Safari opens and works well, restore your back up and see what happens. Sometimes you can get rid of the bad stuff and not loose all your settings and preferences doing that.
No one wants to start over but think of it like getting a new device.

It's on my iPad which is why I put it in this section. Safari is ,y preferred browser, love it on my iPhone and my MBP but on my iPad now it won't open. I did a wipe of all data and restarted and it was fine for a little bit then now simply won't open, web page starts to load then freezes and no matter what page I open its the same.

It may very well be the iPad at fault here but until I get my new rMBP tomorrow as my other is away being repaired I can't redo the erase and reinstall to see if that solves it.

Reactions: ron7624

jamin00

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 14, 2012
Essex, UK.
If both browsers don't work properly, i'd perhaps check into the health of your install of OS X and or run some hardware diagnostics.

Crashing in one app is one thing, but multiple applications having problems points towards more serious issues.

What can I do on my iPad? What checks etc?

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Safari won't open? Have to tried a soft reset by holding the power button and home down for several seconds until the device reboots?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.