What bug is this and how do I get rid of it?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by keysofanxiety, Feb 11, 2016.

1. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

bit of an icky question all, hoping somebody with a bit of knowledge can help. we've got these darn bugs that we see now and then on the kitchen floor, they seem to come out of a wood crack in the corner. We've plugged it up but still there's a hero that escapes every now and then. Big apartment block in the North of the U.K., middle of the city. No matter how much I spray Dettol to keep it clean, wash the floors, vaccum up crumbs, they still seem to come.

No food storage anywhere near that crack, so not sure what they'd be living off other than the wood. They even seem to live when spraying with disinfectant. That's not a good sign. Mind you, they move so slowly and plodding.

What do you reckon, some sort of wood bug thing? It's winter so we keep the place warm all the time. I'm not sure if it's a maggot. Hopefully not a roach =/

Whatever they are, I want them gone. Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

Hahaha, well, it's not a maggot, that's a fly larva, looks like a small, white worm :)

Northern UK? A beetle??

Maybe it's Paul.

3. keysofanxiety thread starter macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

A wood beetle thing? Yeah Northern UK, Newcastle upon Tyne. What do you think? What differentiates roaches from beetles.

I emailed the letting agency in a blind panic anyway, hopefully they don't get the wrong idea. I don't want to be kicked out or anything.

4. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I agree with @Beachguy Fire. Burn it all down. That is really the only sure way of eradicating the little bugger.

5. BernyMac, Feb 12, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2016

BernyMac macrumors regular

BernyMac

Looks like a common rove beetle or ground beetle and often mistaken for cockroaches. Not a cockroach...usually identified by very slender antennae that end in a point and looks almost like a hair strand and prominent cerci at the end of their abdomen. The one on your pic has a stubby thick antennae and no visible cerci. Beetles are not disease carriers like the cockroach and are beneficial to your garden (with very few exceptions) and also eat harmful insects.

6. keysofanxiety thread starter macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Thank you so much for your reassurance. Regardless I've called the exterminators so all the wood will be ripped out and they'll be gone for good. Whatever they are, it can't be good to have bugs living in the house.

I'm just happy it's not roaches. :) As I'm on an apartment block on the 5th floor, I don't have a garden to worry about.

Thank you again!

7. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Paul is dead.

8. robertwright12 macrumors newbie

Hey keysofanxiety, I agree with Beachguy, To Burn all them out But, This may damage to your household things too. These can be a type of true bugs, somewhat looks like bug nymph. After reading this conversation I suddenly got to remember about the incident happened at my sister's house. A rodent was there in her garden area, but she was also confused about the identity of a Rodent whether it is dormouse, rat or hamster. Then one of her neighbour contacted to Professional exterminator Sacramento, CA, to identify the pest. Likewise you can also take some useful reference by contacting Professional pest controller like team to find out whether it is a bug or termite.