What bumper to get if you don't WANT a bumper?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by zub3qin, Jul 24, 2010.

1. zub3qin macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Many of us have no issue with the antenna. I happen to like the iPhone as it is- i don't want to hide a beautiful sculpture with a plastic cover.

But Apple has offered me a bumper and I'm taking it. I justify it as I have a proximity sensor that still doesn't work, although a supposed fix is promised.

1) Is there going to be any market for these bumpers after everyone gets one? Will Apple take them back for credit (doubt it).

2) What bumper does one get if one really doesn't want a bumper- or one doesn't want to hide the iPhone? Even the Apple bumper hides the metal antenna, which I think is one of the coolest design features.

2. draz macrumors 6502a

For now.. you are forced to get a black bumper.

But as it says in the app, the cases and availability are subject to change so there could be more options in the future or less.

But if I were to choose it would be the black bumper. But I am like you, I don't need the case but would take one as it is free....

3. Fabienne macrumors 65816

Fabienne

The question is: What bumper to get if you don't want a bumper?
    The answer: Don't get a bumper.

4. UCF Sam macrumors regular

Get the most valuable 3rd party case available through the program and throw it away to spite steve jobs.

5. zub3qin thread starter macrumors 65816

zub3qin

Something tells me Apple is paying third party companies about $5 for a bumper- no more.

Apple basically screwed the companies. They told them that there is no longer a market for their product, since apple is giving it away for free. So if they want to make any money at all (since it costs pennies to make the bumpers) then they have to deal with Apple or face the alternative of selling nothing.

It costs Apple prob $1 to make their own rubber band bumpers- I can't see Apple paying much more to a third party just to get bumpers out there.

So throwing away my $5 bumper isn't hurting Steve much.
    I'd love to be able to exchange my bumper for an Apple credit. I doubt there will be an ebay or craigslist market for the bumpers since all iPhone owners will have one, but I could be wrong.

6. Dany M macrumors 6502

I think apple has stopped production of other colors for now for those who want the bumper won't have to be selective about which type. Sucks for consumers.

7. spades1412 macrumors 6502

I'm sure 3rd party case manufactures are still going to sell plenty of cases. Apple is offering a very limited selection of cases with almost no color choices. I wonder how many iPhone owners own more than one case. They are doing this as more of a solution to the problem.