What cable adapter to buy to clone HD to external SSD?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by hajime, Jan 20, 2016.

1. hajime macrumors 68030

Hello, I am planning to replace the HD of my MBP 2010 mid 17" by a Samsung EVO 850 SSD. What cable/adapter do you recommend for cloning the HD to the SSD? This MBP has only usb 2.0 ports. For future proof, can I use a usb 3 adapter?

2. Porco macrumors 68030

Porco

Any decent SATA to USB 2 or 3 cable should be fine, but I would advise you get an enclosure, they are not expensive and it means you can have a ready-made external hard drive afterwards, for whatever you like (backs-up, extra storage etc).

Not sure where you are, but purely as an example, here is one on Amazon.com:
    http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Tool-free-Enclosure-Optimized-EC-UASP/dp/B00OJ3UJ2S/

You just want to look for SATA to USB enclosures, for 2.5 inch hard drives/SSDs. If you really only want a cable you can find them quite easily with a similar search, the enclosures are basically just the cable with a box to go round the drive attached.

And yeah, there's no harm in getting a USB 3 capable cable/enclosure either. Enjoy your SSD, it will make your MBP feel much faster!