What Cable Do I need Canon Vixia HF R100 to Imac

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by burto, Aug 13, 2010.

1. burto macrumors newbie

2. macbookairman macrumors 6502a

I don't have this camera model, but from reading the specs and other info on the cannon website, I think you need this usb cable. If you want to buy it direct from Canon, you can find it on the camera page you linked to under accessories.

Or you could probably just use an SD card reader if you have one.

3. burto thread starter macrumors newbie

hey thanks,

the problem faced is that the camera manual and imovie are asking me to import using firewire not USB, i have a USB connection that came with the camera (probably the same lead you kindly located for me) but it does not import video - only a few still images.

My imac has a card reader on the side but when I plug the card in it brings up the raw canon image files - nothing imovie can actually understand/see/import.

Canon supply a program with the camera for PC ONLY that would then convert that raw data into something that imovie and other programs could view (presumably) but as i am on Mac that program is useless.

Therefore I am hoping that the firewire connection will work but that is just a guess/hope. The camera calls this connection "component out" but I am not even certain that is a firewire port or really what it is full stop.

Any general ideas at all? Thanks for your assistance..

4. burto thread starter macrumors newbie

resolved

for the benefit of anyone following these posts or faced with a similar issue, the problem i discovered was that i had an old version of imovie on my mac meaning it could not import the data from the memory card, to get imovie to read the card data you should check what version of imovie you are running and get the latest one, i am running imovie 8.0.6 and it can easily bring in the data from the memory card once inserted into the side of the imac thus eliminating the need for any cables at all.