What cable do I need to connect iPhone5 music to car stereo?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Siilentalk, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Siilentalk macrumors newbie

Stereo
    [​IMG]
    With stereo taken out
    [​IMG]

Here is a picture of the current stereo and behind the stereo once taken out to give you a rough idea. Is there anything I can use to make the current stereo work with my iPhone music or would I have to buy a new stereo?

Thanks in advance :)

2. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

The picture is blurry. Is there an aux port? What ports are there?

3. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Taking the faceplate off will not help.

If it doesn't have an aux input on faceplate, or bluetooth, or rear USB. You are SOL.

Get a new headunit.

4. Zmanbaseball2 macrumors 68040

Zmanbaseball2

Or you can get a fm transmitter that plugs into the aux of the iPhone. I have one and it works.

5. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Post the model number if you aren't aware of its specs. The photos do not help.

6. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Eww. The OP will spend $50 on something that is fiddly, crackly, and impossible to make work in a metro area.

He already has a an aftermarket stereo. He just needs to drop 99-140 on one with Bluetooth.

Edit: I prefer and been pleased with Pioneer. But this is only $66 and probably uses same plug. http://www.walmart.com/ip/19604086?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227014616078&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=t&wl3=41910209470&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=34457899150&veh=sem

7. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

this!

and also by plug he means the same wiring harness

8. RenoG macrumors 65816

9. meistervu macrumors 65816

Yes, I agree. Get a new stereo. I tried many solutions for the last few years because I wanted to keep my stock stereo. I wished I had gone with a new one to start with.

First, FM modulator are crap, so bad that it drove me to using a cassette adaptor for music. Then I got a bluetooth speaker for phone function. After a few months I keep forgetting to charge it, and so I stopped using it altogether.

I recently plunged down $130 for a new stereo. It got all the goodness and a few minor quirks (things that prevented me from buying one many moons ago, but in practice is not so significant). Took me 2 hours to install at leisure pace. It worked great. I wished I had done in many years ago.

One thing you won't get with a cobbled together solution is that if when the phone rings, whatever mode I am in on the stereo: bluetooth, FM, CD, AUX, the music pauses and the phone takes over. I imagine if you use an add on solution it won't be that seamless.

And the JVC unit I have will auto connect every time I get into the car.

Now, if only the car stereo industry would improve their product a bit. Like all stereos out there that costs less than a few hundred dollars, mine came with a one line scrolling display, and if you want to see the clock, you have to select the clock mode which doesn't display anything else. I would say the clock is the most important piece of information and should always be present in all display modes.

Perhaps CarPlay stereos will be better.

10. Jamalmartinez macrumors newbie

New radio is the only solution to this issue yo