What Cable Do I Need

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Racerdog55, Nov 7, 2009.

1. Racerdog55 macrumors member

I just sold my Mac Pro but kept the ACD 30" I have the new iMac on order, in the mean time I want to connect my Windows lap top which has a VGA connector what cable do they make for this, and where can it be bought.
    Thanks
    David

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You'll need a DVI to VGA adapter not a cable. Connecting the ACD to a windows machine (in my experience) results in a lower resolution. The higher resolution requires a dual-link DVI afaik. The display will still work, but the resolution will not be at its highest.

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

This might work but as jessica said, it may not be able to use the default resolution (2560x1600)

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

That would allow for two displays to be fed into one VGA port but if his card doesn't run a dial setup then it's a no go. I say don't waste your money but I could be wrong. I set up my 30" ACD to a windows laptop that allows for dual displays, not that it matters. The highest resolution I got was 1920x1200 I believe. It ran fine, there was nothing that worried me, but it isn't the optimal resolution for the 30".

I did that using a DVI to VGA adapter.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

A phone call to Belkin before buying is my recommendation. It might work or maybe not

6. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member