What cable for second monitor on iMac?

Feek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
I've got a base model 27" iMac on the way and want to use my Dell 24" monitor as a second display. It's got HDMI, DVI and displayport inputs.

What would be the best way to connect it to the iMac, what cable should I get?

Thanks.

Nov 28, 2010
located
If you can get a MDP cable, do it that way.
But there are also MDP to DVI or HDMI adapters.

Mini DisplayPort (MDP)
Mini DisplayPort is the current digital standard on all current Macs to transfer video to an external display or TV. It has been introduced in 10/2008 with the release of the Unibody MacBook and MacBook Pros and has gradually been adopted on all other Macs.
MDP is capable of transmitting video, and since 2010, audio too. MDP is a miniaturised version of DisplayPort. It is also license free and can support resolutions of up to 2560 x 1600, which Mini DVI and Micro DVI are not able to do.
MDP adapters can be bought online from:
MDP to VGA adapter from Apple
MDP to DVI adapter from Apple
MDP to Dual-Link-DVI adapter from Apple

Moshi Mini DP to HDMI Adapter with Audio Support adapter from the Apple Online Store

Mini DisplayPort + USB to Dual-Link DVI adapter from Monoprice
Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter from Monoprice
Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter from Monoprice
Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter from Monoprice - *NOTE* This product will support audio on Mac computers capable of outputting audio through mini-displayport.
Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter from Monoprice - *NOTE* This product does NOT support audio for Macs that outputs audio through the Mini DisplayPort.
Mini Displayport Male and USB Male/Toslink Audio to HDMI Female Converting adapter from Monoprice
Mini Displayport Male and USB Male Audio to HDMI Female Converting adapter from Monoprice - *NOTE* Will only support 2 channel stereo. Will not support 5.1 Dolby Surround like the above adapter.

Mini DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort Cables from Monoprice
Mini DisplayPort to VGA Cables from Monoprice
Mini DisplayPort to DVI Cables from Monoprice
Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Cables from Monoprice

Also of interest: "What is "Mini DisplayPort"? Is it an industry-standard? How is it different from or better than Mini-DVI and Micro-DVI?"

Comment

Feek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
No mention of mini displayport to displayport there but I see those cables on eBay for a fiver or so, that should be OK?

Comment

Feek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 9, 2009
That was simple, thanks. I've just bought one so it'll probably arrive before the iMac!

Comment

bbsBill

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2007
Mini DisplayPort question

I will be getting a new iMac for my office within the next month. However, based on the picture on this page http://www.apple.com/imac/specs.html I don't understand where to plug it in. Is it going to plug into a USB port?

Bill
Cleveland State

Comment

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
It will plug into the Mini-DisplayPort. Looking at the picture posted above, its the "MDP" port. Current iMac's have two of these ports. They are not USB ports.

Comment

bbsBill

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2007
MDP issue

It will plug into the Mini-DisplayPort. Looking at the picture posted above, its the "MDP" port. Current iMac's have two of these ports. They are not USB ports.
My iMac has one port for video but it is at least 3 years old. The picture on the link I submitted, specifically, this one doesn't appear to have any ports other than audio i/o, network, USB, FireWire and Thunderbolt. The spec says this:
Mini DisplayPort output with support for DVI, VGA, and dual-link DVI (adapters sold separately)
but I don't see where that port is. I'm sure I'm missing it some where.

Bill

Comment

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
My iMac has one port for video but it is at least 3 years old. The picture on the link I submitted, specifically, but I don't see where that port is. I'm sure I'm missing it some where.

Bill
The 2011 and newer iMacs have 2 video out ports. Thunderbolt ports are the same as Mini-Display Ports.

Comment

bbsBill

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2007
MDP issue

The 2011 and newer iMacs have 2 video out ports. Thunderbolt ports are the same as Mini-Display Ports.
Thanks for your answers. Are you saying the pictures on the link are older than what is available now?

Bill

Comment
Nov 28, 2010
located
Thanks for your answers. Are you saying the pictures on the link are older than what is available now?

Bill
No, as the pictures describe the 2011 iMac's ports, and the naming of them is correct. There is no Mini DisplayPort, only one or two TB ports, which have the same shape as the MDP and are also used to output video.

Comment

bbsBill

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2007
MDP issue

No, as the pictures describe the 2011 iMac's ports, and the naming of them is correct. There is no Mini DisplayPort, only one or two TB ports, which have the same shape as the MDP and are also used to output video.
OK. That's what I was looking for. Thanks for the answer.

Bill

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.