iPad What cable is needed to connect SSD to iPadPro?

SalisburySam

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2019
Salisbury, North Carolina
I purchased an Anker cable to connect a Samsung T5 500GB SSD to my iPadPro, but apparently it doesn’t work as nothing is seen in the Files app. So what cable do I need instead? I know one end has to be Lightning and the other USB-C, which my Anker cable is. What am I missing?

sparksd

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
You need the Camera Adapter with a power input in addition to the USB input as the iPad does not supply enough power. I have the 10.5 Pro and same SSD and I need to attach the power cable to the adapter.

Reactions: SalisburySam

casperes1996

macrumors 601
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
What format is the SSD? It's also possible that there is not enough power from the iPad for the SSD - you would need the Camera Adapter with a power input in addition to the USB input.
Yeah. Some drives work fine - I have an iPad with USB-C which may give more power, but my SanDIsk works fine just plugging in. But other devices require too much power to work without additional power help. - Formatting is also a valid thing to check.

SalisburySam

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2019
I have the SSD formatted using Disk Utility on my iMac to be two 250GB partitions of FAT32. This is needed to connect to my car for dashcam and security video recording.
- - Post merged: - -

You need the Camera Adapter with a power input in addition to the USB input as the iPad does not supply enough power. I have the 10.5 Pro and same SSD and I need to attach the power cable to the adapter.
Appreciate your input, thanks!

nicho

macrumors 68030
Feb 15, 2008
I purchased an Anker cable to connect a Samsung T5 500GB SSD to my iPadPro, but apparently it doesn’t work as nothing is seen in the Files app. So what cable do I need instead? I know one end has to be Lightning and the other USB-C, which my Anker cable is. What am I missing?
AFAIK that's not going to work. For a lightning-based ipad you need the camera connector, period. Then you'll need a USB-A to USB-C cable to hook it up to the T5.

Reactions: SalisburySam

sparksd

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Yeah. Some drives work fine - I have an iPad with USB-C which may give more power, but my SanDIsk works fine just plugging in. But other devices require too much power to work without additional power help. - Formatting is also a valid thing to check.
Yeah, the same SSD works fine via USB-C direct to my 12.9 Pro. Lightning sucks.

casperes1996

macrumors 601
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Yeah, the same SSD works fine via USB-C direct to my 12.9 Pro. Lightning sucks.
Well, for what it is, Lightning is pretty good. Remember it’s an older and smaller connector, never made for two way power delivery. Lightning requires less complex internal hardware to support the port. But USB-C is a way more versatile port for sure, though it can also be a bit frustrating with the versatility since not all ports will support the full feature set of USB-C

SalisburySam

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 19, 2019
Rather curious. Here is a video that may be helpful.

T5 should work directly or with a "mini dock" intermediate.
I think the difference is that I have an iPadPro with a Lightning connector. From what I’ve gathered here and elsewhere, that requires the Apple Camera Adapter to provide power, or perhaps a mini dock in your terms. No way to connect the T5 directly to a Lightning port even with the right cable, and have it work.

sparksd

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I think the difference is that I have an iPadPro with a Lightning connector. From what I’ve gathered here and elsewhere, that requires the Apple Camera Adapter to provide power, or perhaps a mini dock in your terms. No way to connect the T5 directly to a Lightning port even with the right cable, and have it work.
I have the T5, a 2018 12.9 Pro with USB-C and a 10.5 Pro with Lightning. I can confirm that the Lightning device requires additional power to the adapter for the T5 (but not for USB-C).

Reactions: JayMysterio