What cable would I need to hook my 2012 iMac to ACD 23"

Discussion in 'iMac' started by xkmxkmxlmx, Jul 10, 2013.

1. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

I have looked around for an answer but I am confused. What cable do I need exactly for dual monitor support using my 2012 iMac and an Apple Cinema Display 23"?

What video input does that monitor use? (I don't actually own the monitor yet, so I can't see for myself).

2. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

should be able to use a Mini-DisplayPort to DVI adapter

3. xnatex macrumors member

You don't need to buy anything extra.

The 2012 iMac has two thunderbolt outputs:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5522

I'm not sure if you were planning on buying a brand new Cinema Display, but they don't make the 23" ones anymore.

The new 27" Cinema Display has a Thunderbolt cable as input.
    (It also has a Magsafe 1 connector for charging laptops.)
    http://www.apple.com/displays/specs.html

So by plugging in one Thunderbolt cord you get the following on the Cinema Display:
    2560 by 1440 pixels of Video
    Built-in FaceTime HD camera with microphone
    Built-in 2.1 speaker system (49 watts)
    Three powered USB 2.0 ports
    FireWire 800 port
    Gigabit Ethernet port
    Thunderbolt port

4. xkmxkmxlmx thread starter macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

Yeah, that's what i was thinking.

----------

I am buying a 23" ACD used.

5. skinny*k macrumors regular

"What video input does that monitor use? (I don't actually own the monitor yet, so I can't see for myself)."

If it is the old Cinema Display—the one with the clear plastic case with built-in legs on each end—it uses a non-standard, and now obsolete, ADC (Apple Display Connector) on its cable. If it is that kind, and you buy it, you will need to find a (no longer made) power supply/adapter on the web. Expect to pay about $75.

If you are handy with a soldering iron, there are hacks that can be found online for DIY solutions.

If it is one of those old monitors, you would likely be better off buying a new non-Apple monitor—possibly for about the same money—and you will have a warranty to boot.

Do find out what kind of connector you'll need before buying.

6. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

This should be it. Plug this sucker into one of the thunderbolt ports in the back of your iMac and you should be good to go!

7. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

What's with buying an old and used Apple Display? You can get a great and modern 24" LED display which looks just as good or even better. Do you really need that shiny :apple: logo on your monitor? :rolleyes:
    Or do you need a display that just works wonderfully?

Try this .. works wonderfully with your iMac, even when using Thunderbolt port for video output since it carries mDP signal and throw away the data pipeline.

And unlike Cinema Display, its height is adjustable too so you can level with the iMac itself. Don't waste your money on Apple display.

8. xkmxkmxlmx thread starter macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

Thank you.

What's with people offering their advice with a condescending tone without even being asked for it?

I am getting the ACD from a friend for $50. I don't have $300 to spend on a monitor right now.

9. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

That's a great deal on a 23" ACD.

10. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Oops someone is angry. Okay, sorry. Twas my bad

For $50 I couldn't talk much then. Typically the 23" Apple Cinema Display with aluminum silver bezel comes $200 -$300 used on eBay. So yeah I assumed you plan to buy one of them.