What cables/adaptors will i need to run Migration Assistant on my old/new computer?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MikeTheVike, Dec 4, 2012.

1. MikeTheVike, Dec 4, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2012

MikeTheVike macrumors regular

I have a Early 2008 24" iMac. I'm looking to trade it in on a new 27". I'm wondering what cable I will need and adaptor, if necessary, to migrate my stuff from the old computer to the new. Looks like I have USB 2.0 and Firewire 400/800 on the 2008 iMac. Will a thunderbolt cable + a firewire adaptor work? Thanks!

Edit: I also have an external USB HD that I use for Time Machine backup. I suppose I could plug that into my new iMac for Migration Assistant?

2. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I would just plug in the Time machine back up and leave it running over night. It is only a USB 2 HD I assume?

3. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

It is my understanding that you can use a network cable to connect the two machines. Go pick up a Cat6 cable!

4. MikeTheVike thread starter macrumors regular

It's USB 3.0, so maybe that won't be too bad. I wasn't sure if Time Machine backed up everything I would need to migrate completely.

5. bearsloft macrumors newbie

I hadn't thought of migrating via Time Machine. That might work well for me as my TM is on a usb 3.0 external.

However, I want to limit what I bring over to my shiny new 27". I was thinking of only grabbing the users files for each account. My current old white imac is pretty gummed up with stuff and I want to be choosey about what I load new. Can I do that? I seem to recall from migration assistant 5 years ago (going from an emac to my white iMac) that I could be somewhat selective as to what I brought over.

I'm pleased to say that I have not actually needed to use time machine very much.

As far as cables I believe razorhog is correct that a network cable should work. Of course the new imacs do not have FW any longer (GGRRRRRR) so that won't be an option.

Bear