What camcorder and Mac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Bemidjiboy, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Bemidjiboy macrumors newbie

I'd put this on the video editing forum, then realized it might be better for the buying advice one: I'm upgrading the electronics in the entire house (!) and this includes a new camcorder for home videos. I've used a Sony Handycam with an internal hard drive in the past and I think I'd like a camcorder with the SD cards now. I assume they would transfer faster into a new computer. Is that right? I was looking at something like the Canon Vixia: http://www.amazon.com/Canon-VIXIA-Im.../dp/B006UMMPMI Any thoughts on camcorder or, for that matter, which Mac to pair it with for efficient iMovie editing?

2. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

Too many.....

possible answers, but a sure bet for me would be one camcorder with HDMI output. Easily access modern Macs via DVI-HDMI adapter in some models. Even better, a camcorder with FireWire 800 and HDMI, but I have the feeling that would be expensive. Sticking with the HDMI only option, maybe the Panasonic HC-V100K or the JVC Everio GZ-X900 can fit the bill. And about a Mac companion, current Macs can help you, ranging from the Mac mini to the iMac. Future proofing (and ideally) you can go with the best combo in terms of CPU/GPU/storage, because media files eat up a big chunk of storage. And if you want to do editing faster, the best GPU/CPU combo can be a plus.

:):apple:

3. Bemidjiboy thread starter macrumors newbie

What about SD speed?

Thanks Poenix. I had assumed that using the SD card directly from the camcorder and into the computer would transfer video data faster than a cable. Is that wrong?

4. phoenixsan macrumors 65816

phoenixsan

Yes....

I think the SD speeds can overcome any kind of connection. But in good faith, I had my fair share of SD card disasters, and for this motive, I dont feel confident recommending it. Have to check about the cameras I suggested to you to see if supports the SD option you need/want. But maybe using the info I saw in the link you posted initially you can find some cameras with same or better SD write/read/access speeds.

:):apple:

5. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I recently bought a Canon camcorder to record my lectures (I teach college courses). My MBP will read 90 minutes of video off of the SD card and import it into Final Cut Pro X, analyzed and ready for editing, in about 10 minutes. I don't know if you would consider that fast, but I do -- it creates an enormous (50 GB if I remember correctly) file on the MBP.