What Camcorder Did Apple Use To Demo iMovie09?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by BruceEBonus, May 30, 2009.

1. BruceEBonus macrumors 6502a

BruceEBonus

Bit of a challenge question that. Unlikely anyone will know. But may have an uncle who works for Steve or the bloke who invented iMovie08 who started it all :D
    Seriously I could do with knowing .. because if you go to the Apple iMovie09 Support Camcorder Page - and look at the list of compatible camcorders you may be as shocked as I am to find out that there are VERY FEW AVCHD HD camcorders that are compatible .. if indeed any!!! Yeah. Go on . have a look if yo dont believe me, Thomas.
    Now - I have had excellent results with my current Panasonic SD5. Great camera and iMovie 08 and 09 did the business in style. Nice... go on YouTube... type in thefartgallery and see the Harley Davidson vids I have done to see how wunnerful the new features of IMovie09 are .. where was I ..

Ah yes - so I go out and get a HS9 and SD100 Panasonic. Now - seems the HS9 will be fine. It uses the same light sensor as the SD5 ... IE 3 x CCDs. BUT all the new Panasonics are using 3MOS (3 x CMOS Sensors). And use a different shutter system .. this causes probs .. and is described in the Missing Manual as "video jelly". Now .. if you then use the stabilization feature this makes it even worse!!! AND iMovie cant handle the Cinema modes of these 3MOS cameras

To make it even further appalling ... Canons are useless here for the same reason AND Sonys .. so unless you want to use a naff unit like a Samsung or a Panny SD camcorder ... using AVCHD then forget it

So what DID iMovie use for its demo footage! Come on!!!!!!

2. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

The iMovie Camcorder Support site (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3290#2) lists 46 supported AVCHD camcorders in the NTSC section alone. How many do there need to be in order for there to be more than "very few" in your opinion?

3. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

What is your definition of very few????? Why are Canon's and Sony's useless?

4. BruceEBonus thread starter macrumors 6502a

BruceEBonus

Sorry but the UK uses PAL as does a lorra Europe. Which is a country full of smaller countries in the other part of the world than the USA :eek:

However even the NTSC ones are battered too ... its not just regional. Look at the list of AVCHD HD cams not the SD models. Most fail on two counts. 24P Cinema mode causes problems but its the 'rolling shutter' effect from CMOS sensors that is causing problems. EG The Canons they also suffer similarly. Sonys always were a problem

Things are wunnerful if you just want standard def AVCHD or you have a miniDV or tape based system.

Dont tell me that theres loads of models to choose from. You have a look at the current Panasonic AVCHD HIGH DEF models and show me a model that isnt affected. My old SD5 makes it and the SD9 both obsolete. Are fine. They use 3 CCD systems. But Canons and Panasonic HD Media cameras now use the CMOS system and this will not work well with iMovie09 ... if you dont beleive me read the double caveats assigned to each one .. the 24P mode is defunct as is stabilisatioin .. thats two big let downs.

I sold my Sony tape based camcorder two years ago when I first used IMovie08 ... got the Panny .. nae worries ... then .. thinking all had been solved with a new manufacturer .. nope ...

So dont do the condescending thingy .. have a look again ... see? No .. the HIGH DEF AVCHD ones .. see the list on the right? Yeah. Thats the things that dont work on 'em. What ? Theres loads to choose from. No. The new Panny TM models dont work .. the current models dont work .. actually they all DO work but not to their full potential and yes there are "loads" of models but check the model types .. they are either not AVCHD or not HD .. ah.. now you see.

So .. to my original question:
    How do I find out what pro camera was used to film the 'home' footage on the iMovie demo stuff? Thatll be a broadcast quality equipment then .. fine. Ill buy it .. just tell me what shop sold it! Ta!

5. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

There are 37 PAL AVCHD camcorders on the list, too. As for rolling shutter and progressive video "problems," who cares? Not many people seem to find these to be major stumbling blocks. Nothing in life is perfect, especially iMovie.

As for the camcorder used to shoot the video for the iMovie demos, I can't help you.

Next.

6. BruceEBonus thread starter macrumors 6502a

BruceEBonus

Well how many of these are HIGH DEF camcorders cos thats what we are looking for .. and dont forget . these features that folks dont need must be there for a reason - and video stabilisation is one of iMovies big 'draws' for me ... its one helluva program and I hope theyre getting on to the issue but I doubt if its surmountable.

Meantime - I'll continue my search to find the corporate media production company that made the "home movie" for Apple and see if my own home movies can accomodate what I am sure will have been a very frugal and realistic budget for yer average Joe.

A bit like the coincidence that EVERY person on iPhoto promo flyers IS a model! FUnny that. WHy cant they all look like Susan Boyle instead?

Aye!

7. Courtaj macrumors 6502a

Courtaj

All of them: that's what the "HD" in "AVCHD" is about.

8. BruceEBonus thread starter macrumors 6502a

BruceEBonus

Great news ... now .. you must filter this massive list of HD Card camcorders without issues .... by doing the following:

They have to be PAL compatible
    They have to be CURRENT models

Good luck!!!!!!!

Meantime looks like I'll be selling my HDC-SD100 on eBay :-(

9. filman408 macrumors regular

Most likely in house for stuff like that.
    Randy, the guy that made the new imovie, noted using a sony cam at one point.