What Camcorder should I get

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by DaMacBoy, Jun 1, 2010.

1. DaMacBoy macrumors newbie

I recently purchased Final Cut Express from my local Apple Store but I don't have a camera to go with it. I edit the clips we film in my film class but I want a camera of my own. I'm aiming for the Sony FX7, but would like to see any other options. I'm on a tight $2500 budget.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Doesn't that depend on what you want to accomplish with that camera and what features it should have?

What about the EX series or the Panasonic's HD camcorders or Canon's?

You can also use MRoogle to find many "what camcorder to get" threads.

Have you also taken a look at Creative Cow?

3. DaMacBoy thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you that is a good idea!

i also wanna know if there r any top of the line consumer

4. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Depending on your needs you should definitely check out the Canon EOS 550D/T2i, Canon EOS 7D and the Canon EOS 5D Mark II.

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

But what are YOUR specific needs?

Good low light performance, interchangeable lens system, progressive capture ability, medium of storage, manual control flexibility, weight, filming environment, ...?

Those Canons (7D and 5D and even the 500/550D) are remarkable cameras, but they may not suit your filming needs.

6. handsome pete macrumors 68000

The 5D will max out his budget. And with lenses and the various gear needed to make it a suitable video camera, he will be way over budget.

7. TaKashMoney macrumors 6502

Yeah the 5d will break your bank but def look at the 550d and the 7d. Check out www.poetzerofilm.com for more info on DSLRs for video and a barebones kit of the Canon 550d

8. handsome pete macrumors 68000

I agree.

Normally when people look for advice on getting a new video camera, I try to steer them away from DSLRs, because they make for terrible traditional video cameras.

But from the sound of it, the OP will be using it for filmmaking. DSLRs do make for good digital cinema cameras. So if your goal is to make films, then a DSLR is a solid option.

9. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Actually he can buy it and vintage lenses for under $2,500.

Just saying. You can disagree but it is possible.

Things get even easier with the 7D.

10. handsome pete macrumors 68000

True, but most dealers out there are still selling the body only for $2400. Then there's any support gear he'll probably need (audio, lcd viewfinder, follow focus, etc.)

You're right about the 7D. But if he does go the DSLR route, I'd probably recommend the t2i with that budget.

11. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

If that is the case, he shouldn't even be considering the Sony FX7 to begin with. It is also maxing out his budget after all. $2,500 is a starting point.

You have to start somewhere and you do really not need all that support gear.

I should now, I shoot with my camera every week ;)

12. handsome pete macrumors 68000

The FX7 runs $2000 new at most places and you can probably find it cheaper elsewhere. So it's certainly well within his budget.

And as a standalone video camera, it is light years ahead of any DSLR out there.

It all depends on what you plan on doing with it. The support gear isn't needed for everyone, but it definitely makes the camera more usable videowise. With DSLRs you're introducing a whole new set of skills needed to capture quality images. You have to deal with focus pulling, terrible on board audio, moire, aliasing, rolling shutter, etc.

And I know as well. I use my 7D regularly. I've also owned many other cameras, such as the Ex1.

13. gødspeed macrumors regular

gødspeed

I'd go with a 550D, $500 worth of old Nikon / Pentax / other MF glass, and $1200 of HDSLR essentials (tripod, h4n, z-finder, rail system, follow focus). You can do some stunningly cinematic filmmaking with the 550D + $1700 of additional gear. As your budget increases, add some higher quality MF glass (e.g Leica Summicron, Zeiss ZE)

14. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Let's just end the discussion here.

Will be interesting to see what the original poster is looking for.

In the meantime I can recommend this shootout pitting Kobak 5217 film, Fuji 8553 film, 5D Mark II, 7D, 550D, 1D Mark IV, D3s and GH1 against each other.

There is a reason why dSLRs are compared to 35mm. Just look at those sensor sizes.