What camcorders are compatable???

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by 1stmac, Jun 22, 2007.

1. 1stmac macrumors newbie

Okay this is my first MAC and of course bought a mini dvd camcorder prior, Sony DCR- DVD108 which is not compatable with the mac. No firewire, file format vob all the problems. So i downloaded openshiiva which converts from .vob to mpeg 4 so i can at least edit in imovie but it takes FOREVER to convert over an hour UGH!! My external drive is sony and can't seem to get that to play nice with the mac either. So lesson learned, I will take back the sony as i see from reading around, alot of others have done but my question is What brand to go with. Sounds like cannon is the best??? What about panasonic or JVC i've read pos and neg so it leaves me confused. And of course mac website is saying error when i try to look at the camcorder campabilty list SOOOOO who can help me- Angela:confused:

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

Don't worry about the brand. The first thing to do is make a list of features you want. The first featur to think about is if you want HD. The world is going HD and 16:9 format

Next think about audio. Nothing say "cruddy home video" like bad sound. You need at least a mic input. For more money you get level controls and meters and XLR inputs but you have to decide where to draw the line

No one here can tell you what to buy, we don't know your needs or budget. But make a list, write it down of what you'd like to have. andthen shop the brands, picking a brand is the last part.

3. ibglowin macrumors regular

Sony Camcorders work great on Macs

As long as you purchase a Mini DV (Tape) camcorder, even HDDV (High Definition). Just stay away from the mini DVD types and hard drive types. It has to be tape based.

4. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

I have the JVC High Definition Hard Drive Camera that works with the mac. its the GZ-HD7

5. Osprey macrumors 6502

Will the tape based mini dv cameras work with Final Cut HD Express? I understand that the mini dvd ones won't work, but does this also apply to these as well? Thanks in advance for help with this.:)

6. 1stmac thread starter macrumors newbie

Ugh still issues...

Okay took back the sony and hitachi mini dvd both bad with the mac.....now i bought a jvc hdd eferio gz-mg130 hooked it to the mac via usb NOTHING comes up I am going MAD...........................i hope someone out there has this prob and has a resolution besides me having to buy ANOTHER camcorder.:eek:

7. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

As was recommend earlier in this thread hard drive based camcorders have issues with the Mac. Sure, you may be able to get it to work but I doubt it will be as smooth as working with a Firewire / i.Link miniDV based camcorder.

Yes, miniDV based camcorders will work perfectly with FCE. Just stay clear of hard drive and DVD based camcorders.

8. Osprey macrumors 6502

:cool: Thank you. I ordered the SR MBP with Final Cut HD Express on it and I can hardly wait for the new computer to get here so I can try it out! Unfortunately I will have to wait a little longer since they haven't shipped the 7200 15 inch one out yet. I ordered the first day and some days the delay just about drive me crazy, but it will be worth it if everything works.:)