What can a MBP do with the lid closed?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by The "Dude", Jun 13, 2012.

1. The "Dude" macrumors regular

It's been a few years since my last laptop. I just ordered a rMBP yesterday and will be using it as somewhat of a desktop replacement. My question is, what functions can it perform with the lid closed. Specifically:

1. Sync an iDevice wirelessly and update podcasts with iTunes
    2. Backup to a TimeCapsule
    3. Download Usenet files
    4. Share an iTunes library with another Mac
    5. Receive e-mail and sync with iCloud
    6. AirPlay mirroring to an AppleTV

Can it do any of those things, or will it simply put itself to sleep?

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

without hacking, it can do all those things, everything really, as long as you have an external display and HID (mouse, keyboard) devices attached. Heat is not a factor. Don't let anyone tell you it vents through the keyboard because it doesn't. Infact the revamped cooling of the rMBP is even better than before.

3. RSully macrumors member

On Lion it just puts itself to sleep. However when you update to Mountain Lion in july it will be able to backup/etc when the lid is closed. See http://www.apple.com/osx/whats-new/features.html#powernap

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can operate a notebook with the lid closed and an external display attached (clamshell mode) and do anything you could do with the lid open. If you don't have an external display attached, closing the lid will cause the Mac to sleep, unless you use InsomniaX or InsomniaT (rebuild for SL) (fix for 2011 MPBs). In sleep mode, nothing will run.

5. Diversion macrumors 6502a

Diversion

Heat may not be a factor, but my 2011 MBP certainly works the fans harder to keep it cooler when the lid is shut.

I also read about the CPU throttling down due to increase heat levels when the lid was down.

But for the OP's purposes, it will be fine with the lid down for sure. I gamed heavily with the lid down and up and it seems to stay happier and quieter with the lid up.

6. Stetrain macrumors 68040

If you have it plugged into an external display, keyboard, and mouse, you can use the MBP as normal even with the lid closed.

If it isn't hooked up to an external display, you would have to run a third party app like InsomniaX to keep the laptop from going to sleep.

OSX 10.8 Mountain Lion is scheduled to be released next month (you can upgrade for free if you bought the retina MBP or any of the other new models)

It has a new feature called PowerNap (Macbook Air and Retina MBP only):

http://www.apple.com/osx/whats-new/

7. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

What are you talking about? I am typing on an Air with its lid closed. The next computer over is a MBP with its lid closed. Neither is asleep.

HID device, power, monitor => machine will continue to function normally.

8. 7even macrumors 6502a

To get your MBP to work with the lid closed, just hook up external keyboard/mouse and a monitor, close the lid, and wake it up using the keyboard. This has worked for me in the past...

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The CPU is not throttled with the lid down. It is only throttled when temps reach a high enough level, usually around 5C before shutdown.

10. puke macrumors regular

Please tell me you can still use Apples Wireless keyboard and magic trackpad when you got an external 27" thunderbolt display attached to it WHILE being in clamshell?

11. RSully macrumors member

I know; but why would I assume a monitor or keyboard is plugged in? OP didn't mention any of it. I assume this is "normal use"

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I'm sure RSully meant without an external display attached. The way you start clamshell mode is to first close the lid, which puts the Mac to sleep. You then wake it with the keyboard or mouse to use it with the external display.

Yes, you can.

13. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

Probably because, without some kind of input device and display, the machine's not exactly doing much. How would you use it without some way to get information to it and from it?

14. The "Dude" thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the replies. I pretty much knew that I could run the Mac with the lid closed and an external monitor attached, which is how I plan to use it normally. Was just curious about the "background" processes that can occur when a Mac is in "display sleep" mode as opposed to "computer sleep" mode. For example, I can sleep the display on my MacMini and still sync my phone, etc.

Looks like the new Power Nap feature in ML and some third party software may be all I need.

15. RSully macrumors member

With the display asleep your Mac will function fine. If iTunes is open your phone will sync, etc.. The only thing off is the display. When the *computer* is asleep then you'll just have power nap.

16. busterbluth macrumors 6502

I have a late 2008, and when i close the lid, it sleeps. I looked, but couldn't find any setting to fix this. I installed insomniax but that stopped working. I only care for when i am using airplay to stream movies/music. Thanks!

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Make sure you have the correct version. See my first post in this thread for links.

18. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555