What can an Apple TV offer me?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by bsharrah, Oct 10, 2013.

1. bsharrah macrumors member

I am reading more about this device and what it does but am trying to determine if it would be worth it.

I already have an Xbox 360 which can access Hulu and Netflix. I have no interest in purchasing or renting movies through iTunes, or anywhere else for that matter.

I am all for any device that allows me to watch movies, so long as they don't cost me anything (I can spend money to watch shows without another device).

So far, the only advantage I am seeing is being able to watch movies downloaded to my iPad through sites like Barwo.com(and I can buy a cable for that, cheaper). Are there any other real advantages to getting an AppleTV that I am missing?

2. benh911f macrumors 6502

If you have no interest in buying/renting through iTunes, don't have a library of purchased or ripped content in iTunes, and wouldn't use Airplay, it's probably not for you.

3. Mrbobb macrumors 601

4. Nychot macrumors 6502a

I never have rented or bought anything from itunes and have all three of my apple tvs jailbroken so i get untold movies and tv shows etc plus i stream much from my ipad3. You dont have to deal with buying or renting with an apple tv to get great enjoyment but only jailbroken.

5. institute macrumors regular

This is not correct. I rarely rent or purchase from iTunes and I use two ATV constantly. I have Netflix and Hulu and media I downloaded or ripped from disc and placed in iTunes. I also have Plexconnect set up on my Mac which lets me have the benefits of Plex and Plex channels without needing a jailbreak. Finally, I Airplay from my iPad using the Plex iOS client and many other apps, like Justin.tv. I have way more access to shows and movies than I could ever have time for, all on non jailbroken ATVs.

6. Che Castro macrumors 603

I have only bought one movie in 2 years from iTunes

I get my movies from other sources & I use the Apple TV everyday

7. Beezer70 macrumors newbie

Apart from Airplay, the biggest advantage of the Apple TV over XBox360 is not paying for an XBox Live membership. If you're an avid gamer, though, and are paying that anyway, you might as well stay with XBox.

Also, if you haven't digitized your personal library and still rely on DVDs, then an XBox may be a better choice for you.

8. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I use it for playing my music from my Mac in the study, using an iPad as the remote. Have various other options for doing it (360, PS3, Samsung Horizon box) but none are nearly as good.

Occasionally I use it for Airplay, which is a lot handier than having to keep the device within the reach of a cable.

Airplay mirroring from my Mac would be great, but I don't yet have a Mac capable.

9. chakdey macrumors regular

Does it play downloaded mkv or avi media without converting it for iTunes?

10. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Nope. But there are programs, that can convert on-the-fly (like Beamer). And there are whole alternative ecosystems (like Plex) that can play, but I haven't gotten so far yet, as to understand how to run a Plex client on an unjailbroken :apple:TV.