what can apple watch 4 do that apple watch 3 cant

Gustie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2018
Bristol
Hi all

would really appreciate any input. I have ordered one and it arrives tomorrow but i may not bother keeping it as i have a 3 already

I am Sampson

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2007
Plymouth, UK
I’m dubious about what it can actually do over my S0. But it sure looks nice, you’re paying for the screen and I suppose speed, not what it can do. It all depends what you personally want, many features, but no use if you don’t value them or won’t use them. Personally if I were buying a watch now (and I’m not), I’d jump on the s4 in an instant over the s3 due to the screen. Nothing more.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
I’m dubious about what it can actually do over my S0.
I have an S0 as well, and the benefits are clear, regardless if you use all of those features
Better battery, the S4 will last longer on a single charge then the S0
Better performance, instead of waiting for what feels like a long time, I expect apps to fire up sooner.
GPS, the S0 doesn't have it
Barometer - the S4 can detect elevation changes, which impacts stairs climbed and if course hiking
Better speaker
Water proof
larger screen
ECG

Gustie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2018
Bristol
seems like everything is just a bit better. Bigger screen better speak and better this and that... can it actually do something new?
by the way thanks for everyone who has posted i didnt expect so many replies so quickly. This is a great community thats for sure

Reactions: I am Sampson

I am Sampson

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2007
Plymouth, UK
I have an S0 as well, and the benefits are clear, regardless if you use all of those features
Better battery, the S4 will last longer on a single charge then the S0
Better performance, instead of waiting for what feels like a long time, I expect apps to fire up sooner.
GPS, the S0 doesn't have it
Barometer - the S4 can detect elevation changes, which impacts stairs climbed and if course hiking
Better speaker
Water proof
larger screen
ECG
Indeed. But your post proves my point. It is up to the person who uses it if they value those things. For example for me;
Battery - my s0 lasts all day fine and that’s all I need as it is popped on charge each night.
Performance - I admit to this one, but if I’m honest I very rarely use an app other than the timer
GPS - I wouldn’t get that as it would make my monthly costs 2.5X as much which is madness
Barometer - can’t see any use to record if I use stairs
Speaker - never use sound, one of the main reasons I have the watch in the first place
Waterproof - I have swam with my s0 at least once a week every week for over 3 years. It is waterproof.
Larger screen - yes. Absolutely, this is what I would want.

Whereas, someone else would have a completely different list.. they may not care in the slightest about the larger screen, but may want better battery for sleep tracking, or better activity tracking via the barometer.

My point is, it’s up to the OP’s preferences and uses as to weather it is worth him keeping the s4 or returning to the s3.

I am Sampson

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2007
Plymouth, UK
seems like everything is just a bit better. Bigger screen better speak and better this and that... can it actually do something new?
by the way thanks for everyone who has posted i didnt expect so many replies so quickly. This is a great community thats for sure
I’m curious as to why you bought it if you don’t know what it can do? It’s not exactly cheap. But in terms of what it can do that’s new over better, I think fall detection is new? I may be wrong, someone else might be better to clarify s3 v s4 as I’m way back comparing to s0 as I say. I’m sure a s3 v s4 google search would also list many things. But for me, as I say, it’s the screen. I suspect when it arrives and you see it, you will want to keep it. :)
[doublepost=1537465926][/doublepost]
Monitor your heart
Arguably this is also just a better rather than new. All Apple watches can monitor heart in at least one way, this is just a much better way.

ob81

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
-Full screen display of new watch faces.
-Louder speakers for Siri/phone calls
-On the spot EKG reading
-probably faster

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
If someone is operating from the first GEN or Series one, this is a substantial upgrade to the Series 4. If you have a Series 3, there are certain differentials with the larger display, louder speaker, overall formation changes with the casing, EKG, etc. It really depends what you value when you opt to upgrade. For me, this was the upgrade with the Series 4 that needed most, but I think when you compare side-by-side with both the Series 4 and Series 3, the Series 4 quickly makes the three other generation Apple Watches look dated.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Indeed. But your post proves my point.
Maybe I'm splitting hairs, but the fact remains, the S4 does a lot more then the S0. Whether you value those features is another thing. You posted that you were dubious what the S4 can do over your S0. It can do a lot, but if you don't value those features, then don't spend the money.

My S0's battery does not last the day, it poops out around 7:00pm at this point

Reactions: LizKat

I am Sampson

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2007
Plymouth, UK
If someone is operating from the first GEN or Series one, this is a substantial upgrade to the Series 4. If you have a Series 3, there are certain differentials with the larger display, louder speaker, overall formation changes with the casing, EKG, etc. It really depends what you value when you opt to upgrade. For me, this was the upgrade with the Series 4 that needed most, but I think when you compare side-by-side with both the Series 4 and Series 3, the Series 4 quickly makes the three other generation Apple Watches look dated.
I’ve seen this argument a lot, but never really explained. For me the S4 makes the s0,S1,s2 and s3 all “look” as dated as each other. It’s the look by being thinner and larger screen that’s the big difference. As has already been said, everything else (nearly) is just improvements to speed or monitoring etc which is the same series to series. Only s3 to s4 has the physical change.

Rangers94

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
The larger screen alone with smaller bezels is reason enough for me. On top of that it’s almost 1 full mm thinner, faster processor, 50% louder and EKG.

With the redesign of series 4 I’ve decided that this year I’m upgrading to stainless. Can’t wait for my 44mm SBSS. I plan on keeping it for 2-3 years instead of upgrading every year like I’ve had with the Aluminum.

hr10

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2009
I am still not 100% sure i will get series 4, coming from series 0 SS.
Watch is still going strong, battery lasts whole day, i only use it for notification purposes and i rarely use the app on the watch.
Does heart monitor function any different from series 3 and 4?

I am Sampson

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2007
Plymouth, UK
Maybe I'm splitting hairs, but the fact remains, the S4 does a lot more then the S0. Whether you value those features is another thing. You posted that you were dubious what the S4 can do over your S0. It can do a lot, but if you don't value those features, then don't spend the money.

My S0's battery does not last the day, it poops out around 7:00pm at this point
Fair point. I’m certainly splitting hairs with my posts. Don’t get me wrong, I’d grab an s4 in an instant if I could, it is clearly vastly superior. But I’d still argue that the screen size is the single BIGGEST improvement over any other version, so included. It’s what would be noticed 100% of the time, not just occasionally. So that improvement is exactly the same for s3 to s4.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Only s3 to s4 has the physical change.
Sort of not my point, but I will elaborate. The Series 4 separates via Gen 1/Series 1/2 and Series 3 with overall cosmetic changes, especially with the bezel reduction. Additionally, If you even look at the Apple Watch Series 4 with the display illuminated compared to the Series 3, huge difference right there just in terms of content viewing. But in terms of being larger, size _alone_ makes the Apple Watch Series 3 look that much different. I’m not even remotely considering the thinness between the models, but just in general how it’s more rounded now where the display meets the casing, just the slight variances in with the dispays Being upgraded from 38/42 to 40/44 is significant. But it’s been said many times, the Apple Watch was in need of a physical change, basically it had the same exact casing/display for three years until it needed this refresh its now offering.

In Fairness, it’s probably more appropriate if you actually have side-by-side comparisons of the Series 4 does make the Series 3 dated just in terms of physical aspects, which, isn’t even taking consideration of the included technology internally. Regardless, change is subjective, but there must be a reason why so many are flattered by the new changes with the Apple Watch 4 with the physical changes, more so, why so many are upgrading.
[doublepost=1537468069][/doublepost]
GPS - I wouldn’t get that as it would make my monthly costs 2.5X as much which is madness
Am I missing something, or are you confused between GPS and Cellular? I moved from S0 to S3 GPS (no cellular) and pay no extra per month.
@I am Sampson is misconstruing GPS with LTE. GPS capabilities are directly built into the Apple Watch since the Series 2 with no service fee required, that’s only LTE service with a carrier that would have an Additional surcharge.

Last edited:

I am Sampson

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2007
Plymouth, UK
Sort of not my point, but I will elaborate. The Series 4 separates via Gen 1/Series 1/2 and Series 3 with overall cosmetic changes, especially with the bezel reduction. Additionally, If you even look at the Apple Watch Series 4 with the display illuminated compared to the Series 3, huge difference right there just in terms of content viewing. But in terms of being larger, size _alone_ makes the Apple Watch Series 3 look that much different. I’m not even remotely considering the thinness between the models, but just in general how it’s more rounded now where the display meets the casing, just the slight variances in with the dispays Being upgraded from 38/42 to 40/44 is significant. But it’s been said many times, the Apple Watch was in need of a physical change, basically it had the same exact casing/display for three years until it needed this refresh its now offering.

In Fairness, it’s probably more appropriate if you actually have side-by-side comparisons of the Series 4 does make the Series 3 dated just in terms of physical aspects, which, isn’t even taking consideration of the included technology internally. Regardless, change is subjective, but there must be a reason why so many are flattered by the new changes with the Apple Watch 4 with the physical changes, more so, why so many are upgrading.
[doublepost=1537468069][/doublepost]
I think we may have our wires crossed, possibly entirely my fault. I completely agree with you. My point is that it IS the physical changes in the series 4 that make it worthwhile (for me), my confusion is just that I see these changes as just as relevant from s0 to s4 or from s3 to s4 or any other jump, as s0-s3 are all 99% identical in looks. So my confusion is the arguement that an upgrade from s3 is perhaps no worth it when from a lower series it is. That only makes sense if you consider the other tech and not just the looks.

@I am Sampson is misconstruing GPS with LTE. GPS capabilities are directly built into the Apple Watch since the Series 2 with no service fee required, that’s only LTE service with a carrier that would have an Additional surcharge.
Indeed you are correct. I have clearly had a gaping whole in my knowledge here. I've not only read 'GPS' as 'LTE' in this case as you assume, but also not realised the s2 introduction on GPS tracking which I just discovered, so that is an improvement for activity tracking.... though, do go back to the OP, they are looking for new things it can do, NOT improvements, so we're back at just a few things and mostly looks again. :)

Jason Honer

Suspended
Aug 13, 2018
Boston MA
It can go under water to 50 meters. The S0 cannot.

Mabus51

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2007
Yeah it can ECG. The older models can’t do that.

I am Sampson

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2007
Plymouth, UK
Going under water to 50m is just better deapth in water. ECG is a better argument as that’s quite impressive, but really that’s just a better way to monitor heart which all can do.
The OP is asking what is completely NEW not what is just a better version of something there before. I feel like I’m the only one getting that.

Reactions: ccrgt

perezr10

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
Unless you’re old or have health problems most people don’t care about the EKG or fall detection. It’s all about the bigger screen.

The Series 4 is kind of like the iPhone 6. It’s gonna sell huge just because of the bump in screen size.

I ordered a Series 4 more for the looks than anything. However, I consider the addition of cellular to the Series 3 to be the biggest most important upgrade in the history of the Apple Watch.

I’m guessing the Series 5 will have a camera added, always-on watch face, and play YouTube videos. You never get anything good when Apple bumps the screen size.

iFan83

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2017
If you have to convince yourself then just by the series 3
[doublepost=1537498932][/doublepost]
Unless you’re old or have health problems most people don’t care about the EKG or fall detection. It’s all about the bigger screen.

The Series 4 is kind of like the iPhone 6. It’s gonna sell huge just because of the bump in screen size.

I ordered a Series 4 more for the looks than anything. However, I consider the addition of cellular to the Series 3 to be the biggest most important upgrade in the history of the Apple Watch.

I’m guessing the Series 5 will have a camera added, always-on watch face, and play YouTube videos. You never get anything good when Apple bumps the screen size.
Not sure how realistic FaceID would be for Apple Watch, it’s already a bit of a pain on the iPhone with it having to be a certain distance from your face. No point to having a camera on an AW, it would be a pretty poor quality one too, would rather have the extra space be used for better battery life. Would love an always on screen but that would drain the battery pretty quick.

I honestly don’t think series 5 will be a big upgrade over series 4, faster and better battery I think are a given

TheBearman

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2008
Cary, NC
First, let's not say old.... we're age-challenged (LOL)... But age and health is the reason I've ordered the series 4.

Beyond that, an S0 doesn't have GPS, the same level of water resistance, or an option for a LTE. The larger screen is just a bonus.

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2014
If you want a bigger screen, more processing power, fall detection, EKG - then get the S4.

Honestly, watch OS5 Runs really well on S3. There's a reason they kept the S3 around, and my guess is the S4 will be killed off when the S5 comes out and the S3 will still be the base model for one or two more generations, meaning its life will be quite long in the lineup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.