What can I ask the Apple shop guy to do?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by The Grandfather, Dec 16, 2007.

1. The Grandfather macrumors newbie

The Grandfather

Well My iMac 24 is on order and should be here soon this will be my first time I have purchased any
    Apple Mac items The Guy in the Apple shop said he would un pack the new computer and let me see it working
    So being a totally new user of the iMac , what can I expect the guy in the Apple shop to do when he un packs my
    New computer, would he be able to boot it up and run some software, which I really want him to do so I can
    See the display up and running, can any one suggest what I could ask the Apple shop guy to do for me in the
    Way of setting up the computer and giving it the once over..?

Thanks in anticipation

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

It will boot Leopard straight out of the box, it will ask you to create your user account straight away, and a number of apps will already be installed and on the dock which you can launch from the word go.

I guess you could swap the desktop background for a solid grey to see if there are any really bad colour patches on the display...

3. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Simply that!

There have been an increasing number of new users over the past few years and they are all pre trained for this scenario!

Simply be honest with him and ask what you want to know! I mean after all they are paid to help you!

Hopw this helps!

4. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

I would have him put a disk in the DVD drive to make sure that it works. Mine didn't and I had to send it back for repairs. Other than that, I would have a close look at the screen to make sure that it doesn't have any dead pixels or dust particles under the glass.

Cheers.
    :):apple:

5. The Grandfather thread starter macrumors newbie

The Grandfather

WOW , Thanks for the quick replies Now I know i'm in the right place, well here I go with the ''dumb'' first time Apple Mac user questions..

Can you please tell me which ''tests '' the Apple shop guy can run for me in the shop ,with out me setting up an user account in the shop, as I think it may be better for me to do the setting up of an user account on my own at home..?

Thanks

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

You can't do much without a user account; that's the egg before the chicken.

There are no 'tests' that will reveal flaws apart from the simple things that we've already mentioned, and remember, you have a solid guarantee on the machine for one year. If you're so inclined, you can take out AppleCare just before that year is up.

7. The Grandfather thread starter macrumors newbie

The Grandfather

Thanks for your reply - Blue Velvet , I know after reading the posts on this and other Mac related forums that there seems to be some reoccurring comments about the
    New iMac 24, which I think people will know about. As It takes me a Two day trip to the Apple shop I feel I would like to test out the new iMac standing next to the Apple
    Shop guy , so I am hoping to if possible at least try out say playing a DVD /CD/
    Chang the desk top background color to say a solid Grey and putting the system under some sort of stress / load and any other things you guys here could suggest
    I know its impossible to fully try and test the new iMac in the Apple shop
    But I would feel a lot happier if I could just try as much as possible in the apple shop, the Apple shop manager said I could see the new computer fully working
    So I want to take him up on his offer , so now it looks as if I will have to set up an Users account in the shop .

Thanks

8. FireArse macrumors 6502a

Apple Retail Store

If you're in a Apple Retail Store, you could go the Genius Bar and get one of their external HDD's and boot Leopard off that. (You can do that by holding 'alt' just after the unit chimes - then select the external drive to boot from)

Now you can test the hardware without running the user account setup on your own HDD :)

If I'd spent a huge sum of money on something I knew little about, I'd test wireless, the screen & the optical drive. You should be fine though - as long as you're happy with the screen :)

F

9. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

You could also try testing all of the ports to make sure they are functioning properly.

10. The Grandfather thread starter macrumors newbie

The Grandfather

Thanks you FireArse ,

The shop is only an Apple reseller and has no Genius Bar, as you say I have spent a lot of money on this my first Mac so it would be great if I could some how try at lease some things in the shop, so it looks as if I am back to setting up an users account in the shop when its un packed , just wondering and trying not to be too negitive but what would happen if I do set up an account and find theres some thing not right on the computer, how would the shop manager react about this after setting up an users account on the new iMac, which they will have to exchange , so is this way I have to go

1. set up an users account in the Apple shop
    2. try the optical drive
    3. Chang the desk top background color to solid Grey
    4. check for any dead pixels
    5. try the keyboard
    6. try the mouse
    7. ..?

any more Ideas to add please

Thanks a Lot

11. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

It all depends on how much time he has. If there is a lot of folks in the shop and his time is short he will be anxious to serve them all so there won't be any time left for you. Try to find a calm moment and he will have lots of time to serve you.

12. The Grandfather thread starter macrumors newbie

The Grandfather

The shop is always a bit quiet and all ways eager to make a sale, so time spent with the sales guy is not a problem, this is I think why the un pack and set up
    offer has been made, so now all I have to do is make the most of the offer..

Thank You

13. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

7. Put in a DVD movie, bring one with you that your familiar with so you can notice the details.

Try the white background and not the grey, but calibrate the monitor before you do any background changes or general viewing.

Five dead pixels is the minimum for return. Since your opening windows and depending on where a dead pixel 'might' be, it should not be an issue.

Please note that most people post problems and not that they are happy with their imacs! I was hesitant in buying mine, but have had it for 6 weeks with no issues whatsoever! Love my 24" iMac!