What can I buy in Apple Store?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mousemd, Jan 23, 2010.

1. mousemd macrumors member

Could /I walk into a free standing Apple Store and get an i5 imac or an i7 imac?

2. Hmac macrumors 68020

Assuming they have it in stock, sure.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The i7's are configure-to-order (CTO) units and therefore, not stocked in stores. They stock all standard configurations from their web store.

4. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

You can purchase anything they have available.

Habitus :apple:

5. Hmac macrumors 68020

Really?

I see that B&H Photo (Apple reseller) has the 2.8 ghz i7 in stock, and the others available for preorder

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Really. Go look at Apple's web site. The only way to buy an i7 is to select an i5 and then CTO it.

Resellers are free to order CTO units.

7. Pigumon macrumors 6502

Pigumon

just call the store!

You seriously would rather post and wait for a response than call a store and find out conclusively by talking to a human?

8. mousemd thread starter macrumors member

@pigumon -

you sir are rather rude. Of course I could just call the stupid store, but I just wanted to know if any of you guys had any particular insight. BTW, have u ever called an apple store? Much easier to ask the gurus here then call an Apple Store sometimes. (check out the horror stories re: Genius encounters).
    Nonetheless, I appreciate the input. I wasn't sure if the i7 was a custom build out or not. I am well aware that custom BTO options are not usually available at the stores, but seeing how this is a flagship imac it MIGHT have been at the stores.

9. McPaul macrumors member

It might be a good idea to call or go into the store and ask.

10. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Rude, because s/he came up with the most obvious and best answer?

11. mousemd thread starter macrumors member

No, because s/he replied in all bold/black test. Read my response as to why I asked the MacRumors crowd vs calling the damn store. I wsn't sure the i7 was a CBO or still available in the store for separate purchase.

12. trees macrumors newbie

really where did you mention it was a flagship store, freestanding does not equal flagship. Call the store, they have good answers if you know how to ask a question

13. Paul B macrumors 6502

Pigumon is right. Not sure why you would think that calling the Apple Store would be anything but a quick and easy process.

14. emir macrumors 6502a

emir

i want to add something to the first question can i walk into the store and get a macbook pro 15 inch with 2.53 core2duo processor, 4gb ram and 500gb hard drive? as you know if you buy it from website you have to select the 500gb hdd. default is 250GB. can you change it immediately at store or they get your request and you get the computer couple days later?

emir

15. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Some stores *may* have a few custom builds available.

If you want a standard desktop or laptop, but with extra RAM or a larger HD, they *may* be able to do it on the spot, depending on how busy they are.

Worst case is that you will have to wait a few extra days.

That's as good information as you are ever going to get from this forum. It all depends on which shop, what they have in stock, and how busy they are, which changes from day to day.

It used to be the case that buying extra RAM or HD space from Apple was quite expensive. People will advise you to buy that elsewhere and DIY if you feel confident. Not sure if that's still the situation.

16. emir macrumors 6502a

emir

thanks for the answer but i am asking it here because i am not living in US. i may get a MBP when i go to us for vacation but i don't have time to wait extra few days. that's why i asked.

emir