What can I delete from OS X?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by derek.fulmer, Dec 12, 2010.

1. derek.fulmer macrumors member

derek.fulmer

Can I delete fonts, icons, and other things from OS X that aren't necessary to my needs or that are just "fluff" in the OS?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Be careful what you delete, as some fonts and other files are critical to OS X operation. What are you trying to achieve?

3. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

Back when I did osx86 stuff, a script existed that would strip ALL unnecessary stuff from the OS, but tbh, it doesn't really do much beyond save a little bit of space. Also you have to be VERY careful as something as seemingly insignificant as a font can leave you unable to log in.

4. derek.fulmer thread starter macrumors member

derek.fulmer

Not really sure what I'm trying to achieve with it, just curious really. Looking to see what is unnecessary or unused in OS X. I'm trying to learn more about the OS, too. Tips, tricks, ins and outs.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Unlike Windows, Mac OS X doesn't have a lot of useless stuff that installs with it. It's best to leave it alone, unless you have a specific need and know exactly what you're doing.

Helpful Information for Any Mac User

6. derek.fulmer thread starter macrumors member

derek.fulmer

Sure, I was just curious. Wasn't planning to do much of anything with it as it functions just fine, obviously, and it was a random curiosity I had while looking through some files. Thanks for the input though. Much appreciated.

7. astroot macrumors regular

One of the big items that people typically remove is the foreign languages. Monolingual is a program that will do that for you. http://monolingual.sourceforge.net/

You won't really save all that much space doing this, so it's up to you whether it's worth it or not.