What can I do about MBP lid that is coming apart?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Nabooly, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Nabooly macrumors 6502a

Nabooly

So my mbp's top case cover is coming apart at the bottom left hand corner. The aluminum is coming apart from the screen. I can pull it back a little and see the backlight.
    I called Apple to set up an appointment at the Apple store and the guy told me that Im out of the 1 year warranty. Now I was shocked cause i bought it march 17 2009.
    Catch is I bought it on Ebay (brand-new) and the guy actually bought it on February 26th. This guy isnt an official reseller so i doubt he can do anything.

Basically im at a loss as to what to do. I know if I pay for the repair itll be super pricey. They'll probably replace the whole top part of the cmputer including the screen. Any suggestions? :(

2. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

if it doesnt have apple care your screwed,
    do it yourself or shell out the cash

3. rumpus macrumors member

Use better thread titles next time if you want feedback from more people, not generic ones like "I need help", "What can I do" or such.

4. polotska macrumors 6502

Any pictures of the problem? It's a bit hard to say without being able to see it.

5. Nabooly thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nabooly

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Neither the Apple Warranty nor AppleCare cover damage due to wear and tear or accidents. They wouldn't have covered it, even if it were in warranty, unless there was a manufacturing defect.

7. FrancoisC macrumors 6502

FrancoisC

How can your 1 year warranty be over when you bought it march 17? you still have 5 days!

Maybe it's not covered like the previous poster said, but i'd go back to that store with the receipt with the date on it and ask them to tell me with a straight face that my 1 year warranty is over...

Edit: nevermind I did not see the thing about ebay.

8. chopper dave macrumors regular

Is is just the bezel coming off? I believe it's just held in by double-sided tape. You could just stick another piece in there and hope it sticks. Don't use epoxy or anything more permanent, as it will force you to break your display if you ever need to make further repairs.

Another option that I use: my 4-year old MBP is coming apart all over the place (screw tabs break off) and I use duct tape to hold it together. This is the plastic/aluminum 0.003" stuff they actually use on ducts (Shurtape DC 181), not the fibrous stuff you use for everything BUT ducts. It's not pretty but it works great and doesn't leave a permanent film on the aluminum, should you find a better solution.

Moral of the story? Always buy the 3-year warranty unless it's just going to be sitting on a desk forever.

9. Nabooly thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nabooly

Follow up: Screen progressively got worse and last monday the screen just collapsed, literally. It wouldn't stay standing up, either it fell towards me or fell completely flat. Heres some pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyway, I called up apple and talked to a Senior Supervisor. I told her that I got a repair estimate for $800 without applecare and there is absolutely no way I could pay for it right now. I also told her I searched and found out that there are others with the same problem. She told me to take pics and send them to her and she'll talk with her engineers. She called me back the next day and said that they approved a repair and would send me a repair box.
    I sent the macbook to them and got it back with a new screen 2 days later. Im in love with Apple at the moment haha!! :D