What can I do to speed up web pages?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Denis54, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Denis54 macrumors member

I love my iPad but I find that web pages take too much time to load.

What can I do to improve the situation?

Is there a faster browser available?

Would an iPad 2 be significantly faster?

2. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

An iPad 2 is significantly faster. Its the first thing (besides the better screen) I noticed when my friend got his iPad 2.

3. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Get a better, higher speed Internet connection, a better wireless router and if on 2.4ghz with your router, get rid of electronics that interfere with it like cordless phones running on the same freq.

Then download Atomic web browser.

4. Gunny011 macrumors regular

Atomic is a good choice.

I think the iPad 2 is faster loading web pages. First thing I noticed when I got it.

Opera mini is another fast browser I sometimes use on my iPad

5. Slip Jigs macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I have the same problem on my iPad 1. I know my net connection and wireless are good, so I figured a better processor would do the trick.

But this is the first I've heard of a better screen on the 2, I admit, I haven't been following things a close as I used to, but I thought the screens were the same, one of the reasons I didn't push to upgrade.

6. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

Get the ipad 2
    at least 2 times faster and you wont have to refresh everytime you open a new page

7. Denis54 thread starter macrumors member

I agree. The iPad 2 is faster. I bought bought one last week and I see a noticeable improvement vs my iPad 1.

I feel my iPad 2 is about half way between my iPad 1 and my laptop.

8. 88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

How about getting a Honeycomb tablet, which I found is better at browsing the web then mobile Safari on ipad2. Also you can download 3rd party browsers on Android, where as on iOS, all the 3rd party browsers are based on Safari framework.

You can pickup Honeycomb tablets quite cheap and you have your ipad for all the other stuff.

You could sell both when ipad 3 lands early next year.

9. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

I'd like to see some side by side comparisons I've yet to see any Honeycomb tablets beating ipad 2 in a straight speed test

10. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Most Honeycomb tablets comes with more system memory than the iPads did which means they don't have to reload content as often as my iPad2. They may or may not draw a single web page as fast as my iPad, mainly because they aren't skipping the flash contect (mostly ads) but that buffer makes the total session less frustrating and "quicker" when you use the back button or go back and forth between tabs of content.

Hopefully the iPad3 will have more system ram, and it'll be used to address that problem.

11. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

More ram doesn't matter if the software is too buggy to make proper use of it

12. 88 King macrumors 6502

88 King

I found the loading speed is about the same with the ipad2 and galaxy tab, but I found surfing experience is much better on the tab.

This is because the stock honeycomb and 3rd party browsers are more feature packed than any browsers on ios.

For example, the stock honeycomb browser allows you to navigate and control the browser by slid you finger on the side of the screen.

Firefox have useful extensions, and easy to navigate side panels.

Dolphin browse have easy to use gesture controls.

Other features I found useful are auto format text to the width of the screen and able to play flash videos on BBC news site.