What can I do w/my 1st Gen Iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mom2kyleegrace, Jun 18, 2009.

1. mom2kyleegrace macrumors newbie

What can I do or what would be a fair price to sell it for? I'd like to get the new 3GS, but unsure I could get anything much for my current iphone.

It will still work for a phone and ipod for anyone, but not sure anyone would want to buy it when they can get a 3G for $100....any ideas?

2. HarrisonB macrumors 6502

Keep it as a backup. Or use it if your being very active. I.E. Mountain biking, snowboarding, ect. That's what I'm gonna do with mine!

3. fabianvs macrumors regular

fabianvs

I would say $50 is fair, hell for $50 I'd take it depending on condition :p

4. isharan macrumors member

I'm sure its worth more than $100 if you unlock it :p

5. iSavant macrumors regular

Your phone has value to many. An 8 GB iPod Touch retails at $229 USD. You have that, plus it is a phone... without a contract.

The 8GB iPhone 3G deal at $99 USD is a subsidized 2 year contract phone.

I'm keeping mine as a backup for our two iPhone 3GS's we get tomorrow.
    :)

6. mom2kyleegrace thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok, so I assume if I keep reading I'll find out how to unlock my phone? (Sorry, I just found this forum!)

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The $100 is the subsidized price and isn't comparable to no-contract price. There are plenty who are willing to pay significantly more than $100 for unlocked, jailbroken iPhone that they can use on T-mobile (especially 8 and 16 gigs).

In my case, I'm keeping mine as a backup.

8. Jeremy81 macrumors 6502

You could probably make over 200 on eBay depending on condition. I haven't checked the prices recently. It's kind of risky selling cell phones on eBay but if you are careful and setup buyer requirements you should be okay. Just don't take off eBay offers or sell internationally.

9. entity macrumors regular

I sold my 2G 8GB only about 10 days ago for $280. The trick was to get it on there before WWDC.

It was only jailbroken and software unlocked.

10. TheRiseofTheFal macrumors regular

TheRiseofTheFal

I sold my original last year when I bought the new one and I deeply regret it. Depending on preferences I like to hold onto cool gadgets and having the original is as cool as it comes for me. I'm trying to get my hands on one and collect them. That being said, if you unlock you'll still get some value out of it if you choose to resell

11. docprego macrumors 65816

I really don't see how the original iPhone has changed in value at all. The $99 3G is only available to new or qualifying customers. If someone wants an inexpensive iPhone free from an AT&T contract, a used original or 3G are still the only viable options. That is exactly the same situation that existed prior to WWDC.

You could keep it as a backup or use it as an iPod Touch.

12. Roller macrumors 68020

I'd like to give mine to my son, but without a data plan. I'm still unclear as to whether that's something AT&T sanctions, though I know that it's possible to do.

13. uneek1 macrumors regular

I think the only way you can do it is to unlock it and buy a prepaid sim card?

14. iObama macrumors 6502

iObama

Put it on eBay. Some guy bought mine (dented, cracked, dead pixels) for $150!!! :D

15. moka macrumors 6502a

i sold one of my first gen 16gb iPhone in mint condition on craigslist for $350, the other one (16GB also) is going for $450 and already has a cash offer, meeting the person tomorrow in front of the apple store in my area, get the cash, get the new iPhone ;).

16. skeen macrumors 6502

It looks like envirophone.com (UK) is offering about £110 for it, depending on condition. I might consult with them. My iPhone is pretty beat up, so will probably require some refurbishment, but any money is a cost saving on the new iPhone.

17. mom2kyleegrace thread starter macrumors newbie

When I spoke to the AT&T Rep they said that it is possible. I was going to see if my sister wanted mine. They said she could put her AT&T SIM in the phone and use it. She could use WIFI features when available and not pay for the data plan as long as she didn't use AT&T's signal. If she did try to access theirs, she would begin being charged the $20-30 according to this Rep.

18. billchase2 macrumors 68000

billchase2

I'm trying to figure out what to do with mine too. Either sell it on ebay or sell it to a family member. Just not sure how much I can get for it.

19. seanofthedead macrumors member

20. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Since we can't post direct links, just google what you call snow when someone pees on it.

Or you could keep it as a backup incase you drop this one.

21. ok3wire macrumors member

This sounds very interesting, but sadly I haven't the first clue as to what it means. :eek:

22. DrHockey macrumors newbie

Sell it to gazelle.com. Depending on the condition and accessories you still have, you can get a fairly good price. I sold my 2g 16 gig phone for $220. They also send you a box and pre-paid shipping label to make it easy. Perhaps could have gotten more on eBay but this way I don't have to deal with the hassle.

23. adammull macrumors 6502a

adammull

Google "phones for cash" if you don't want to mess with a buyer or not getting paid. There are multiple sites.

Your phone should net you cash of $100-150 and they send you a label and a box.

24. khunsanook macrumors 6502

khunsanook

I was browsing a few used mobile phone shops here in Thailand the other day and saw some 1st gens going for about 350 USD. Granted they were selling for 8-900 USD when new. The iPhone (3G) was officially released here about 3 months ago.

25. Garywoo macrumors newbie

Garywoo

In the UK, CEX will buy it for £222, about $365, that's what i did :)