What can I do with my AP Extreme & Express?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gkp, Feb 16, 2009.

1. gkp macrumors member

I have an Airport Extreme Base Station and a Airport Express sitting in boxes, never being used.
    Our house is already equipped with wireless connection through our DSL and Linksys router. (was in place when I moved in)
    I was thinking of getting a time capsule for back up, but not sure if I could get it up and running with the Linksys or not.
    Can I use my Express as an extender for using my laptop in the backyard? will it talk nicely with the Linksys?
    What are your suggestions/opinions? I hate to see my beautiful Apple products sitting in boxes.
    ??

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. gkp thread starter macrumors member

These were pre purchased

I used BOTH of these in my old house, before I moved into a house that had wireless all set up. My question is: What can I use them for NOW, in the NEW home.
    Does this make it clearer?
    Thanks

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It does, since your original post made it sound like they had never been used:
    You should find all the answers you're looking for in the links I provided.

5. utkillsall macrumors newbie

just don't use the linsys router and use the ap extreme, and use the express as an extender. plus with the ap extreme you get the usb port on the back so you can make just about anything wireless

6. gkp thread starter macrumors member

thank you for the suggestion

Unfortunately I cannot remove the Linksys due to roommates PC being connected to it. :mad:
    Thank you for your suggestions and links.

7. utkillsall macrumors newbie

if thats the case then you can just fedex it to me:)

8. gkp thread starter macrumors member

9. millar876 macrumors 6502a

millar876

A lot of the time, WiFi routers provided by ISPs arn't up to much, But linksys tend yo have an OK Signal.

You can however still plug in your Airport Extreme (square or cone by the way?) to a spare ethernet port and set up your own WiFi network and security. I Find the range I get from both my base stations (Square and dome) are a lot better than anyone elses in the street.

Also if you have a newer mac (with 802.11n) and the 802.11n (square) base station you can create a 5GHz Pure n Wide Band channel which will give you much bigger range than the G network you're probably on, and faster data throughput

10. Doju macrumors 68000

That's irrelevant, Airports are cross-compatible, and will work for a PC. I use it for my whole network, PCs and Macs.

Just use it normally, much better router than Linksys.

11. utkillsall macrumors newbie

that's what i was saying, i completely agree

12. millar876 macrumors 6502a

millar876

apart from the fact that airport base stations do not have a DSL modem built into them, whereas the linksys more than likely will have

13. gkp thread starter macrumors member

great info, thanks!

Appreciate the comments. This really helps me out.

My Airport Extreme is the cone shaped version.