What can I do with my Mac that I can't do with my Windows Machine?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by SRLMJ23, May 6, 2012.

1. SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

I was so excited to get a Mac and after the initial excitement of just getting one died off I'm just not sure what I can really do with my Mac that I can't do with my Windows based machines. I wish there was specific things I could do that set the Mac apart from the Windows machines 10 fold. Any advice out there on how to utilize my Mac to it's full potential???

Thanks in advance!

PS: I do love my Mac WAY more than my Windows Machines though just by build quality alone. Now with some help from you guys I hope I can get more out of it.

2. saud0488 macrumors 6502

Honestly? Nothing. You can use your apple apps that aren't available for windows but that's really about it, in a nutshell. I'm sure there's a ton of things that are industry related that make having a mac much better than a windows pc but for the average consumer this won't apply.

If you miss windows you got Bootcamp or Parallels.

With windows 7 the line between osx and windows really blurred for me. I got my macbook right before it came out and upgraded my windows PC to 7. My Mac is my everyday laptop that i'll use for general computing (i.e. emails, web browsing, photos, etc). But for work, I'd have to use my windows PC. I hate the mac keyboard for typing so I'd have to use my windows laptop for papers and such in college. Also, iWork can't touch Office, and office really is pretty bad on OSX.

But for you regular, everyday computing your mac will be great.

3. aicul macrumors 6502a

You can plan to use your mac for over 10years.

You can also put it in a visible place as it is esthetically nice

You can tell your windows pc friends that unfortunately you cannot help them with their never ending pc problems

4. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

have a machine with better support tgan most windows providers provide... enjoy a working version of itunes? ;)

5. barredfreak macrumors 6502

For daily use, the Mac will be irreplaceable as your companion. If you are a iOS application developer, the development software is only available for Mac. So are great apps such as GarageBand, iMovie and iPhoto, which are definitely more effective than Windows Movie Maker and the like.

A Mac can last for a very long time, whereas I can't say the same for a Windows machine. Plus, if you ever want to go back to Windows, just Boot Camp it. This baby can run Windows better than any Windows machine can.

6. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Not sure what all you were looking for when you bought your Mac. They are computers and they do what you tell them. Interface is different, and both have pros and conns.

1) Both have easy to use interface (assuming you are using Windows 7)
    2) Both are usually good quality (especially if you built your own and picked high quality components)
    3) iTunes stinks on both.
    4) Included apps better on Mac.
    5) Office better on PC
    6) Choice of hardware and software better on PC.
    7) Gaming....Xbox or PS3....Just kidding. PC as everyone knows goes to Windows PC.
    8) Compact package. iMac and Mac Mini type computers are hard to find in the Windows side.
    9) Mac has better security. Yes Macs get Malware and don't let anyone tell you different, but it isn't as common, but Microsoft reacts quickly to threats.

Those are just a few things but again if you were getting a mac to exact it to be a miracle machine than I am sorry. Good machines, but still just does what a computer does.

7. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

January 2011 I made the switch and I found out that it's not what you can do that makes a difference, it's how you do it that does.

It's a lot of little things. I love the fact that I can drag a file to an app icon in order to open it.

I love clipboard managers that allow me to do all kinds of neat things with your clips. The Windows alternatives just aren't as good.

I became a lot more proficient using keyboard shortcuts rather than using the mouse.

An app called Alfred is awesome and makes my workflow that much more fluid.

I love instant on from sleep. Apple nailed this one.

And a host of other things. Like a few people said, there isn't anything you can do with Mac that you can't do with Windows but when you learn how you can get things done differently is when you'll really start appreciating it a lot more;)

8. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

A Mac is the only kind of computer you can buy which will allow you to develop for all major platforms (win/mac/ios/linux/android)

Ultimately this is why I bought my machine.

9. Frozzie macrumors regular

1. Xcode
    2. Final Cut Pro
    3. iBooks Author
    4. Keynote
    5. iPhoto, GarageBand, iMovie
    6. Stress free computing experience

10. printz macrumors regular

Regarding applications: nothing (unless you need to use some professional Mac-only application whose documents you share with others).

But regarding user interface and experience:

- OS X keyboard is more customizable than in Windows. You can easily (not by hacks) rebind the control/alt/command/capslock keys. You can bind keys to any menu command for any application (through System Preferences/Keyboard). You can even bind keys to the OS X-native text controls so you get system-wide autotext or symbols or whatnot (Cocoa Text System Bindings).
    - the Help menu has a menu command search field that is still missing from Windows. Very helpful when you're learning to use a new application.
    - Autosave and versions.

I'm tired of writing more, but you get the drift: it's all in little details.

11. benwiggy macrumors 68020

A computer is a tool to do what you need to do. Asking "what can I do?" is the wrong way round. You should ask "What do I want to do?" and then "how can I do it?"

If you're looking for the main difference between OS X and Windows, I would say: Automation. If you want to use your computer to get stuff done, without clicking repetitively, OS X is the thing.