What can I do with my MBP 1,1?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by VenOunan, Mar 24, 2014.

1. VenOunan, Mar 24, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2014

VenOunan macrumors newbie

Hey guys - I have a MBP 1,1 with the following specs:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro1,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.16 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 2 MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    Bus Speed: 667 MHz

Chipset Model: ATY,RadeonX1600
    Type: GPU
    Bus: PCIe
    PCIe Lane Width: x16
    VRAM (Total): 256 MB

I was looking into trying to get Mavericks on this guy, but it looks like that's not possible. I was then looking into 10.8.4, but according to THIS THREAD, it's one of the unsupported macs because of the Radeon X1600 GPU... what's the best I can get for this MBP?

2. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

The latest version you can install on that machine is Snow Leopard 10.6.8, as your CPU doesn't support the 64-bit instruction sets necessary to run later versions of OS X.

3. Marty62 macrumors 6502

Just a FYI - 10.6.8 is a fine and stable OS.

Unless you absolutely need a newer OS for specific software etc, then It will
    be very happy running SL 10.6.8.

M.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

You may be able to hack a newer version of OSX on your MBP, but given the ram, 10.6.8 is your best bet for stability and speed.

5. VenOunan thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah the main reason why I want to get at least 10.7 is that the adobe products don't support 10.6.8 past CS5, and I use CS6 and CC for work. Surprisingly this old laptop still performs very well for it's age, and I do photo-editing when I am away from home on it.

----------

I could always throw in a few new ram sticks, but at this point it's probably true that it's just not worth it. I keep delaying on making the 2k+ jump to a new MBP. I've had this computer since 2006, and it's still performing surprisingly well considering how old it is and how much I have used it. I keep it clean and wipe the hard drive every few years and I think that has helped, but it may just be reaching it's shelf life at this point. I was hoping to squeeze another year or so out of it.

6. Marty62 macrumors 6502

That's a good life for a well used "Lappy" !

After about three years with every Laptop/Desktop I have owned, I replace the
    HDD's with new ones & a new system install.
    Then they feel & perform like NEW .. which is great.
    I would be a little concerned about that 2006 HDD if I were you !!

Shame that you may not be able to go to 10.7 .... perhaps you could with a
    little research as Maflynn said.

M.

7. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

If you can, eek out life of your current one and wait till the 2014 refresh. If you cannot wait just pick up a new rMBP.

8. Chancha macrumors 6502

I am sure / positive that the entire CS6 master collection can run on 10.6.8, and for CC, some components can run on 10.6.8 but majority requires 10.7, especially the video related apps. If all you do is photo editing you should be fine staying CS6, between CS6 and CC the file compatibility is okay due to their version proximity.

BTW since your C2D MBP can only do 32 bit, I think running 10.6.8 on it with CS4 will give you the most optimized performance, if you know what you are doing in saving files for backward / forward compatibility this is perfectly fine.