what can i do with old ram?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Jimmeney, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Jimmeney macrumors newbie

hi, I have a 2.8ghz 2008 model imac 24'', upgraded the ram from 2gig to 4gig, so have the old ones going spare.

if anyone has a use for them in the UK, I have a padded envelope and will happily post for free as it seems a shame for them to go to waste.

Thanks

Jim

2. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Ha, I was wondering the same thing but with RAM from my Macbook Pro. Its just sitting there. Not sure what to do with it. Maybe recycle it somewhere? :confused:

3. Lordedmond macrumors regular

Keep it and reinstall it if you have to send the mac in for repair

4. old-wiz macrumors G3

Exactly! Apple won't work on your system if the RAM is 3rd party.

5. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Most people will just sell it to offset the cost of the newer ram. That's a very nice gesture on your part to just give it away though. :)

I bet someone on that side of the pond will be very thankful.

6. txnoob macrumors 6502

Is this really true. I've heard so many mixed stories about this. Can someone with actual experience comment on this?

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

8. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

If your system is hosed enough that they can't repair it and need to replace it, you'll get back a new system with only the original amount of RAM you bought installed....so beware.

9. txnoob macrumors 6502

This doesn't answer my question. I'm aware of what you're stating. The quote I was commenting on stated the won't work on it with 3rd party ram installed.

10. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Correct Apple guidelines are that if you do have 3rd party hardware installed, they won't service it. If you need to mail it in for repair, just forget it, they won't service when they find out you installed 3rd party hardware. If you're bringing it to the Apple Store, it really depends who services your computer. Some Geniuses don't care and won't blame your 3rd party hardware if something fails. Keep your old RAM and make the switch for repairs.

11. txnoob macrumors 6502

iLog, much thanks. So as long as I put factory memory back in should I need service, I'm golden.

12. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

Good to know... I was about to Craigslist out my original RAM and hard drive for my MacBook... Thanks!

13. davemulheran macrumors regular

Hi Jimmeney

I have just bought a mac mini, with 1GB

another stick would be great, if it is infact compatible? have you any idea if imac ram will fit 09 mac mini ram?

I am in london

cheers

Dave