Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cpt.N00B

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2011
Last week, I upgraded my MacBook Pro with a OCZ vertex SSD. The computer has speed-up dramatically, however there is not enough space. (I have the 120 GB version and I want to keep at least 25 GB free on the Vertex 2).:eek:

I am thinking of turning my 7200 rpm 500GB internal drive (Default 7200rpm one from Apple, which is a seagate momentus) into a external hard drive for my large files.:D

I would like to find a external enclosure for the drive, which supports firewire 800, due to the faster transfer rate.

Can someone recommend me a good choice? :confused:

and do I need connect it to a power source? if I do, that would be annoying on the go........ I prefer one with out the need of power connection:)

Last week, I upgraded my MacBook Pro with a OCZ vertex SSD. The computer has speed-up dramatically, however there is not enough space. (I have the 120 GB version and I want to keep at least 25 GB free on the Vertex 2).:eek:

I am thinking of turning my 7200 rpm 500GB internal drive (Default 7200rpm one from Apple, which is a seagate momentus) into a external hard drive for my large files.:D

I would like to find a external enclosure for the drive, which supports firewire 800, due to the faster transfer rate.

Can someone recommend me a good choice? :confused:

and do I need connect it to a power source? if I do, that would be annoying on the go........ I prefer one with out the need of power connection:)

how often do you use u're optical drive (superdrive)

one can quite easily swap out the ODD and insert a HDD caddy - allowing the use of a 2nd hdd in u're mac

thus you can have a boot drive for os and apps, 2nd hdd for storage

you can then easily, and cheaply find a sata-usb enclosure for the superdrive

out of interest.. why not wait a week/2 for the new ocz vertex 3?

Cpt.N00B

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 7, 2011
I have the 2009 Macbook pro, which does not support the 6 GB tranfers, so there really is no point. I know there might be price drops, but after the tax, shipping and other fees add up, the price won't be that different. :)

Super drive is too difficult for me ......:eek:

Miss Terri

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2010
US East Coast
I'm not an expert in this area, so please take my advice with that in mind.

If you get a Firewire drive enclosure, and it is "bus powered," then you should not need to connect AC power to the unit. Also, Firewire is faster than USB if you are going to be moving files a lot (not a big deal if you are just, say, backing up overnight).

One example of an enclosure that seems to come highly recommended is the OWC Mercury-on-the-go. It's not the cheapest, but it apparently has a good chipset, which I think is more critical when you are going to be "actively" using it. It also has an on-off switch on the case, which I think is kind of nice. They sell just the "bare" enclosure with instructions on how to put your old hard drive in it. They also have USB only, or USB/Firewire 400 enclosures, in addition to USB/Firewire 800 (which I think come with a 400 cord also).

You can get other brand/USB enclosures cheaper though, and I think with the MBP you should still not need outside power (not sure though?).

I have the 2009 Macbook pro, which does not support the 6 GB tranfers, so there really is no point. I know there might be price drops, but after the tax, shipping and other fees add up, the price won't be that different. :)

Super drive is too difficult for me ......:eek:

V3 on a sata-2 port will outperform V2/owc/c300/intel/corsair etc
in terms of seq write and random 4K
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?85336-Vertex-3-Reviews

also the v3 will be future proof

say if you upgrade in the next year or 2

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.