What can I do with these routers?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lazyfortress, Jun 11, 2015.

1. lazyfortress macrumors newbie

lazyfortress

Hi, I'm new here. I want to know what I can do with an old Airport A1264 router, and the old 1999 Airport Graphite. I'll start off with the A1264. Question 1: Can I use the A1264 as a primary router, and to hook up a webcam to it to make a wireless makeshift CCTV. Question 2: Can I use the A1264 in a car, and does it support its own wifi, like a hotspot, where you can have free wifi (I guess). Question 3: What other fun things can I do with the A1264 for "testing" purposes. I'm 12, turning 13, by the way. I want to something interesting with routers and my iPhone 6. Apple products are great from what I've read. And about the Airport Graphite: Question 1: Can I still use it for wifi on the iPhone, and in a hotel, or in a car if I plug it in to the car battery? Is the Graphite outdated, like the iPad first generation? Question 2: What can I do with the Graphite or A1264 with a raspberry pi a+? Question 3: What "fun" things can I do with these two routers for experimenting? Thanks!
    upload_2015-6-11_21-52-36.jpeg A1264[​IMG]Airport Graphite

2. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

3. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

I agree with @wrinkster22 You can hook up the router in your vehicle and broadcast a WiFi network if you can get power to the router. Getting an INTERNET CONNECTION is a whole other story. Based on the age of that Airport Graphite unit, you'll get 802.11b speeds at best, not really worth the effort.

4. dukeblue219 macrumors member

There are certainly some projects you could do with those, but understand that the speeds are going to be quite slow. You're also missing one important thing -- a wifi router does not magically create internet access. If you put this thing in a hotel room or a car, you'll have a wifi network that doesn't connect to the outside world. You need something to link it to -- like cable internet, DSL, FiOS, a 4G cellular receiver, something like that.

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

The white square 1264 (aka "airport express") is very useful. it has a combo optical/line level audio port on it. Connect it to a stereo and the use "airplay" to send sound from an iPhone, iPad or Mac to the stereo. Connect the old "space ship" roter to the computer and make a special purpose network just for the stereo. So it don't slow down the other WiFi connections. The "express" will also support a remote printer on the USB port.

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603