what can I expect for a ssd in macbook pro 128g

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mountainman716, Sep 13, 2010.

1. mountainman716 macrumors newbie

I am tired of my pc failng & freezing up..I am looking at a Apple Macbook pro with a 128G ssd ,,blogs say the ssd in apple's are not so good..others say they are the best...any comments would be welcome as I am a Newbie with Apple...thanks:confused:

2. bamf macrumors 6502

You should look at a 3rd party SSD - they are cheaper than buying the one from Apple.

Most people are buying Sandforce based SSD's for Macs now (as third party drives).

3. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

I believe the most common Sandforce based drives are OCZ and OWC drives.

4. deeesea macrumors 6502

go get yourself a Macbook/macbook pro with the standard drive, and upgrade to a third party drive, rip out CD drive in macbook/macbook pro and dump the stock HDD into there and enjoy speed and storage space.

Or do the same and grab an enclosure and use the stock HDD as an external.

Just don't upgrade squat from apple (unless it's processor..in which case you really don't have a choice lol). Always a ripoff.

5. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Sounds like such a delicate process ;)

6. mountainman716 thread starter macrumors newbie

mountainman716

I do not have the time or money to buy a new computer and rip out a HHD and install a SSD.I am just looking to get a computer with a SSD and have less problems with failures and viruses...Is Apple all that bad that you wouldn't own one?..I need some sound advice as what is the way to go here and why... Who makes Apples SSD's and why are they so bad...is it the $$$ that's killing this option of owning a ssd macpro ?
    m/716

7. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

8. bamf macrumors 6502

If you're looking for simple, you can buy the MBP with the Apple SSD. Changing out the HD in a MBP is very simple though - took me less than 5 minutes to do. Then I just reinstalled the OS and was up and speeding along.

9. davidlv macrumors 65816

Apple usually charges more for their HD upgrades than third-party dealers, but for the 128GB SSD, the $300 charge for the SSD is actually quite reasonable. See the link below. However, most people say the OWC and other drives using the Sandforce interface are better, because they have garbage collection function which keeps the SSD fast over a long period of time. When you buy from Apple you have little to no choice in the type of drive used, Apple will use drives from a range of suppliers. That is why you are getting advice to buy a drive from a third party, not because they are "bad" drives.
    Then again, are you sure a small 128GB drive will be enough? HD space disappears guickly you know. If not, you could just buy the computer with the stock HD drive, and if that is not fast enough then buy a third-party drive sometime later and install it yourself. It is really easy as long as you have a good #00 Philips head screwdriver for the screws (tiny!) on the back, and a Torx 6 driver to remove the lugs/nuts? on the HD that hold it in place. Takes 10 minutes working slowly. You can always put the stock drive in a cheap USB enclosure for backup use, so it wouldn't be wasted.:cool:
    http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/internal_storage/Mercury_Extreme_SSD_Sandforce/Solid_State_Pro

10. pandamonia macrumors 6502a

Never listen to the guy who goes against what everyone else is saying just because he made the stupid choice to buy apples SSD.

11. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

Installing an SSD is newer models is much easier than installing the SSD in the 2007 Santa Rosa models and the 2006 models. Those models had a few more screws and such, and required about 30 to 45 minutes to install.

12. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

Hey basically if apple puts there name on it then its got apple quality, they run ssds in every ipod except the ipod classic, so there ssd's have been in use for many many years, there ssd's will work fine, even if you bought a conventional drive it could still be faulty and brake. But i am not recommending you buy the apple one even though its expensive i do not find it anymore expensive then third party ssd's, i find them all over priced and am waiting for the next generation to come out and drop the prices drastically. look at the seagate momentous XT its the happy medium between speed and storage without mortgaging your house for a hard drive

13. milan03 macrumors 6502

milan03

Absolutely abysmal analogy.

14. bamf macrumors 6502

NewEgg has the OCZ Vertex 2 120GB drive for $212.99 after rebate.

15. Reelknead1 macrumors 6502

I have the apple SSD 128gb in my new i7 and love it. For me its everything i wanted and expected. Most of these people haven't had any experience with both the apple drive and aftermarket ones. Yes the aftermarket ones are faster but the difference is not very noticeable from what i have seen with a couple friends that have intel and OWC ones. My boot up time is around 2 secs slower then my friend with an intel and his is 2 secs slower then my friend with a 256gb drive from apple so i'm not sure what to think.

The reasoning behind me purchasing the apple SSD over the aftermarket one was that with the i7 the upgrade was 180 dollars cheaper then i could purchase any 128gb SSD on the market. The other reason was due to apple care covering it for 3 years if there is ever a problem. I won't have to deal with the manufacturer of the drive. I can just go to the apple store and have it replaced. Just my thoughts, I hope this helps in making a decision.

16. sarah.kho macrumors member

Hi,

I want to buy OCZ Vertex 2 E Series SATA II 2.5" SSD 120GB for my macbook pro and I am wondering whether it has the garbage collection thingy or not. I am also wondering whether its garbage collection or auto defrag is supported by Mac OS X 10.6 or not.

Thanks.

17. mountainman716 thread starter macrumors newbie

mountainman716

Thanks for that info and encouragement.
    I am not a tech wiz and do not claim so. all I want to do is to be able to down load some photos ,e/m's,and surf the web for on line shopping...I'm on my third computer and fed up with failing systems and calling the kid next door to come over and fix the darn thing and loosing all my e/m address's and viruses.
    I would like to get more GB for the ssd computer but the next level ($700) is out of my range.
    What I have read about the SSD is ,more reliable,use less juice,faster,longer battery life,...my current pc is a toshiba satelite p25-617 3.6ghz 4gram 6years old.......etc.but the hard drive has s... t.. bed. and now I have to worry about loosing my itunes etc.
    so that's it in a nut shell...thanks mountainman716