What can I expect from Microsoft Office For Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Ivan P, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Part of my current job involves completing a 12-month business course, and several of my assignments involve having to use programs such as Microsoft Powerpoint and Microsoft Word. I have no problem doing my work during my normal employment hours as we have the necessary programs, however I also have to work on it at home (for example, I have an assignment due in a week but have absolutely no access to work computers in this time). I have iWork, but the way the course is structured and marked I must use Microsoft Office. The textbooks are all written using Office 2007 as a guide, but I was wondering if Office 2008 for Mac offers the same features so I should be able to do my work as needed still... or would purchasing Office 2007 and installing this using Boot Camp be a much better option?

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

Office is available in a Mac Version, therefore you won't need Windows.

It should be all in all the same, I'd count on being able to piece something together while following the class' guides to a point the instructor won't notice at all. Besides, won't he be impressed when he learns Macs run office :eek: haha.

3. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

Not so fast.

The widely publicized (and widely criticized) removal of VBA from Office 2008 might be a problem if your course involves using those tools. If it does, you're better off with either Mac Office 2004, or just going with Windows in Boot Camp.

4. exegete77 macrumors 6502a

Well, even Office 2004 for Mac is not the answer if VBA is part of the course. It is based on VB5 (so think Office 97 capability), whereas Office 2000, 2002, 2003 is based on VB6, and Office 2007 is based on .net, but still supports VBA from VB6.

And even UserForms are a pain to match between Office 2004 and Office 2000, 2002, 2003. Solution? If you need VBA, and the work is being done on Office 2007, then get 2007 and run it in Boot Camp, VMFusion, or Parallels.

5. kasakka macrumors 68000

If you have a spare Windows XP/Vista/7 disc lying around you could install that on the trial version of VMWare Fusion and download either the beta of Office 2010 or a trial version of some older Office set, if you indeed must use Office.

6. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

Yep. Check this macro point otherwise you are fine with Office 08.

7. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Also double check that you won't need Access. If you do need Access, then you'll need Office 2007 which requires Windows such as XP to run.

You can run Windows via BootCamp or run via WMWare Fusion or Parallels.

Personally, while Office 2008 for the Mac is fine, if your college classes require Office 2007, I would go the Windows XP/Office 2007 via VMWare Fusion or Parallels. That way you'll be 100% compatible with the class requirements. Less possible headaches that way.

Having said that, Office for the Mac is a good solution if it meets your needs.

8. Ivan P thread starter macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Yeah, one of my assignments was totally based around database design using Access, but luckily I was able to fully complete that using Access on my work computer.

I've also completed all my tasks that involve Excel, so the removal of VBA wouldn't really affect anything for me.

Thanks for all the help guys :)

9. Kristine macrumors 6502a

I highly recommend Office 2007 over Office Mac 2008. As an alternative to WMWare Fusion or Parallels, there is VirtualBox, which is free software provided by Sun. I need Office 2007 and use VirtualBox. There is a great guide over at Gizmodo on how to set it up. It is very straight forward. HTH. :)

10. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Why would you install Windows though Boot Camp JUST for Office? Is there a feature you really need that much?

The Mac version has everything and more over Office 2007. It has a better, less-confusing GUI for starters. Office for Mac is slow, but it does have great compatibility with Office 2007. Expect what you would from a regular Microsoft product, monopolized, slow/poor performance, expensive, etc.

11. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

Wow.

Did you even read the thread? :confused: :D

12. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I just loathe the "ribbon" UI. Sure, Office 2008 has less features like VBA macros and etc, but many people, including me, don't use that very often for it to matter that much. I look at the UI more often than the missing features of Office 2008 from Office 2007.

13. j.barbo macrumors newbie

j.barbo

OP, if it was just for word processing I would tell you to go for Office For Mac but because you said you are doing a business course I'd go down the Boot Camp road.

I'm a business student and I have come across certain things in Excel that you can only do in Windows, and not in Office For Mac.

Hope that helps.