What can I use the Infrared for?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by XPcentric, Feb 9, 2013.

1. XPcentric macrumors 6502

In my 2008 Macbook in System Profiler shows Infrared receiver. I have infrared on my phone also, and I'm thinking if there is anything I can use it for ?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The infrared in Macbooks and all Intell/G5 based Macs is only usable with an Apple Remote.

3. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

It is useless right now because Lion and Mountain Lion removed Front Row app for watching movies. :apple:

4. NewAnger macrumors 6502a

I still use it on my 2008 MB to control the volume or pause a movie in iTunes.

My 2010 MB doesn't have infrared.

5. waw74 macrumors 68030

or get an app like remote buddy and an apple remote, and you can pretty much fully control your computer.

depending on how old it is, your phone probably has an IrDA port, which is a very very slow precursor to USB. I've seen it on some printers and laptops, but that was at least 10 years ago.
    At one point i think i was able to sync my phone to my laptop, and printed something from my phone, but that's been quite a while ago, so dont really remember the specifics.

you can't use IrDA as an IR remote.

6. NewAnger macrumors 6502a

I forgot that you can also use the remote to sleep your computer by holding down the play/pause button until you see the three Zs on the screen.

7. MJL macrumors 6502a

in days gone by (before wireless networking) IR was used for adhoc computer to computer connectivity and sharing files.

8. lucasfer899 macrumors 6502

lucasfer899

Apple remote is all that I use my IR for.
    iTunes, front row, VLC, keynote and Quicktime :3.
    VERY disappointed to see it removed from newer portables.