What can ical do for me?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dingdongbubble, Jul 26, 2007.

1. dingdongbubble macrumors 6502a

What significant stuff can it do for me. I am the only user of the Mac. I am not the kid of person who forgets everything. I dont really need reminders for stuff. Is iCal justa simple Calendar program?

2. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Yes, but you can also do some funky things like set alarms (which will actually wake up the computer from sleep if you need it to), it's actually quite useful for me. However, if you don't need it at present, then I wouldn't get into the habit of relying on it...

3. RumMunkey macrumors 6502a

RumMunkey

I've been getting into iCal a lot lately. I like having different calendars so I can see things together if necessary, or just one part of my life at a time.

I really like the way it ties to everything else on my Mac. Birthdays can be brought up from Address book, I'm sure there's a way to send meeting requests because iCal keeps automatically picking up requests from Outlook when people send them to me.

I like to subscribe to other people's calendars and I even publish a few of my own for friends in online communities of similar interests. Want a daily-updated New York Islanders schedule? Subscribe to my calendar here. You don't have to search for updates, you'll get them as I make them in my iCal.

I wish more members of my family had Macs because this would a great tool to know who's on vacation when or when various family events are.

I like that my event alarms work on my iPod automatically. I don't need to do anything. I set it to sync once and now it just does it by itself. It's a 2-second process at the end of syncing my music changes. If I don't have my PowerBook with me on the road or something, my iPod will shout out my reminders to me on screen with a polite little "beep".

I like that I can set reminders pretty far in advance of events. It helps me get birthday cards off in the mail in good time (some relatives are very far away).

I like that it keeps the past as well as the future. Calendars aren't just for coming events. I have a calendar called "Auto Maintenance". I simply make a note of what I had done (tires rotated, fluid changes, etc) on what days and what the mileage was. Can you tell your mechanic when your last service was if needed?

It's typically Mac-intuitive. I can re-schedule events simply by dragging them to a new date. Everything associated with that event gets updated along with it.

I love that I can quickie-print a hard copy (or PDF) any any combination of my calendars (with events on them) for anybody.

I've found it's really a handy app! And it's been relatively overlooked by Apple for a while so I'm hoping for some kewl updates soon.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Very nicely put RumMunkey. I find that the more I use iCal, the more I need to use it.

5. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i would do the same as you as soon as apple comes up with a fully functional web application for ical in .Mac. i want to be able to fully control ical from every computer on the web because i'm most of the time on windows pc's at work.

6. numlock macrumors 68000

1 question

Is there no way to publish the same calendar twice? Once to someone who i want to see info about my events and then when i just want people to see when im busy