Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hrv888

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
Basically what can the 2.53ghz mbp do without being sluggish? With the basic set up that comes right out of the box. Can it play the newest games without any lag? Burn DVDs? Any ideas or experiences? Anybody not satisfied with their 2.53 mbp? I think it's d right time to buy the 2.53 since the price just dropped. Is it good for facebook games since they are flash?

Peytah

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2009
Why do I keep reading about a price drop with MBP's when it's still the same price?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
That is a broad question. You can run all of the standard pre-installed software as supplied by Apple. I know on a late 2008 model you could run Aperture 2.0 easily. You can run other applications such as Photoshop CS3 (I did it but didn't have CS4 at the time), burn DVDs, watch DVDs, order stuff from Amazon.com, discuss politics single handed and with one eye shut, as for games, I don't know.

Price drop? Where and when?

hrv888

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
Aren't you seeing any price drop on apple site? Here in Canada it was previously 1749 now it's 1599. Anybody been playing games with their mbp? In what games do you experience sluggishness? Is the video card sufficient in your opinion?

Captain Planet

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2007
Canada
Yeah, the price drop you see is only in certain international stores, like in Canada. They reduced the prices due to the exchange rate.

Anyways, I won't be able to answer that question, but I can tell you that I did purchase a 13 inch MBP 2.53 Ghz. With the price ajustement and the HE discount, I got it for $1499... which is pretty good. Anyways, it should be here today or Monday.

ncdasa

macrumors member
May 11, 2009
iam also interestd in this but for final cut.

in fact the blackmac i have at present is ok. Of course i dont have much experience with other macs to compare it too. :rolleyes:

But the main problem iam having with it is that it OVERHEATS and TURNS OFF !!!!:eek::mad::mad::eek: :mad:

I mean i know the 2.53 will render faster and all, but iam more concerned with how it manages heat?:confused:

Any exp. or feedback from anyone in the know?

Ammo

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2009

in fact the blackmac i have at present is ok. Of course i dont have much experience with other macs to compare it too. :rolleyes:

But the main problem iam having with it is that it OVERHEATS and TURNS OFF !!!!:eek::mad::mad::eek: :mad:

I mean i know the 2.53 will render faster and all, but iam more concerned with how it manages heat?:confused:

That's one of my questions as well. It may make more sense to get the 2.26 and upgrade to 4MB RAM.

madog

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2004
Korova Milkbar
It can't do laundry. It can be used as a frisbee. Ummmmm, also I don't think it can poach an egg. It's pretty worthless, IMO.

melman101

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2009
Well, I have the 2.53ghz Macbook Pro with 4GB of RAM. I've been running handbrake since 10:30am, and while it's a little hot, it's not that bad and definitely not turning off. While doing the handbrake encoding, i've been using iTunes, browsing Safari, and using iChat. So far, seems pretty stable and reliable to me :).

m85476585

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
In my opinion, only a super computer is good enough for flash/facebook games or youtube videos. Flash is bloated and slow, as is just about everything Adobe makes.

Flash games will run about the same on any MBP. They will use a lot of the CPU time, make it run hot, and kill the battery life. It won't make much difference if you have the 2.26, the 2.53, or a 3.06 GHz CPU.

Flash video might be slightly better on a 15" MBP with dedicated video card, but I don't know if Flash does hardware decoding. It will probably be OK on even the 2.26, though.

The 13" can play somewhat new games, but likely at lower graphics settings (low resolution or low quality and detail). The 15" with a Nvidia 9600 graphics card will be significantly better for games, though the 9600 is getting kind of old compared to desktop cards or even the cards in PCs. You will need to install Windows to play most games (except flash games, of course). You can install Windows in Bootcamp then choose between OS X and Windows when you reboot.

You probably won't notice much difference between the 2.26 ad the 2.53. The 2.53 is only 12% faster, and I would get the 2.26 just to save money unless you need as much speed as possible.

Another big limitation of the 13" is the screen resolution. 1200x800 is fairly low, and a bigger screen will be better for multitasking. The 15" is only a bit better at 1440x900, and the 17" is a big step up at about 1920x1080. (I don't know if all these resolutions are exactly correct). The 17" is big and bulky, though.

With 4gb of RAM, the 13" is a good computer, and it is just about as capable as a larger MBP, except for the lack of dedicated video card and the low screen resolution. There isn't much it can't do besides what I listed here, and even everything I listed here will work, it's just that the experience might be better with a different model.

vant

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2009

You have to reapply your thermal paste.

2.26 vs 2.53 is negligible and most likely not noticeable. What is noticeable will be an SSD, followed by a 4GB RAM upgrade.

ncdasa

macrumors member
May 11, 2009
You have to reapply your thermal paste.

2.26 vs 2.53 is negligible and most likely not noticeable. What is noticeable will be an SSD, followed by a 4GB RAM upgrade.

Hey, thanks for the good advice. (...sorry we are beefing on another thread about apple care and world wide coverage :rolleyes:)

I read a long thread about replacing thermal paste but couldnt find a video on how to do it myself (for my model MacBook 1,1), so I kind of shied away from the idea cause I have been planing to upgrade soon for some time anyway. But I may do it still if its not too hard.

Also I have 2ghz and 2gb ram in my black macbook. I am hoping there will be a noticeable increase in performance if I upgrade to the high end 13" (i.e 2.53 and 4gb ram), but SSDs are still a bit too steep for me.

I guess I am still on the fence about whether to wait a few more months for the next Macbook upgrade to see if the new intel processors are in them. Any speculation/idea from anyone about the extent of the performance difference between the present C2D (2.53 in particular) and the lower end i3/i5/i7 era of intels new processors? ( I say "lower end" because I assume that thats what will end up in the 13" MBP, at least initially, whenever that is...:confused:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.