What can really happen at a WiFi Hotspot?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MacLadybug, Oct 22, 2008.

1. MacLadybug macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug

My husband occasionally has PC flashbacks with our Macs. Although we have never had any issues whatsoever and our home network is very secure... when we travel he is very reluctant to use a laptop at a hotspot. Most hotels and cafes offer wifi now.

I need some of you with tons of experience to explain to me... what really can happen? I understand that you shouldn't do banking at a hotspot. I've also heard that potentially when you are surfing the net, everyone on that network can see what you are doing or where you are going. How safe are our Macs?

How much of this is true and how much is just paranoia? Does it apply to Mac owners? What are some safe guard for safe and healthy hot spot usage?

I just got the Alum MB and passed my Blackbook to my husband and I'd like him to enjoy it when he travels and not be afraid to use it.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Like snatching and monitoring packets out of the air. Open wireless spots make me rather wary in general.

It applies to all operating systems.

Don't type in any passwords in unsecured forms. If you have to push any passwords around make sure the page you're on uses SSL encryption.

Attached Files:

• ssl.png
      ssl.png
      File size:
      28.8 KB
      Views:
    • ssl2.png
      ssl2.png
      File size:
      94.2 KB
      Views:
  3. MacLadybug thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacLadybug

I use 1Password, does that make any difference at a Hotspot?

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

1Password is just a management system that's more robust then the Keychain. The pages you fill out still need to be secure.