What can/should we expect from a MBP LCD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PDE, Mar 9, 2008.

1. PDE macrumors 68020

There seem to be a lot of people posting about various issues with their MBP LCDs I'm beginning to wonder if, in fact, ALL MBP LCDs have many of the flaws that are reported, but only a few people see them. What I'm wondering is what is *reasonable* to expect from these displays in terms of:

- Even backlight? I have never really seen a completely evenly illuminated notebook backlight. My new MBP looked extremely even, but I've noticed that it really isn't and that the sides are darker than the middle. That's fine because the center of the display is brighter and the differences in brightness are only slight, making it hardly noticeable in daily use. But I wonder if there are any macbook pros with better illuminated distribution? If you go over to notebookcheck.com, they measure the unevenness of the illumination of the notebooks they review. There are those that are much better than the MBP, but often they are less bright. The MBP rate fairly low in terms of evenness.

- Backlight bleeding? I didn't notice anything on my beautiful display until I watched a DVD and saw that there is significant backlight bleeding on top and below. AND, in the middle of the display, there is a large darkish area that looks pretty awful. If you pause any of the APPLE HD trailers in full screen mode (in a dark room) immediately after the green ratings screen, you might see what I mean. It's only really visible in a dark room when there is a completely dark background, but it is very pronounced then.You can also see this with the black screen in the app LCDTest.

I really thought I had a perfect screen! And for most intents and purposes, it looks really good. But, objectively speaking, it's FAR from perfect and, if I actually look closely and care to care about it, the backlight bleeding is nasty under specific circumstances. When I had a MBP with yellowing in the bottom 1/3, I showed the display to my girlfriend and asked if she could comment on anything strange with the display - she couldn't, but to me it was very obvious.

So, what should we expect/demand? Are there any notebook displays of similar brightness and contrast (this is important since the less brightness=the less visible the flaws) that do not have uneven illumination and do not have backlight bleeding? Do they exist? And are there better displays on the market used by other manufacturers?

Any insight to spark the discussion? I think the question that really needs addressing is what we should expect from a notebook display given current technology - otherwise we could forever be chasing a kind of LCD that simply does not exist. In other words, what are the characteristics of a high end notebook LCD in 2008?

2. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

you know what? i totally get your point.
    tonight i played a DVD and paused it on a black screen..
    my screen has bleeding on both the Left and right side..
    i would have never noticed it.

and i thought i got a good lcd since i don't have the yellowish tint.. or maybe i do and i'm just in a denial.
    anyway, i'll go to apple store tom and have it checked out..
    this is really unacceptable..
    good thing i'm within the 14 days return period.

3. PDE thread starter macrumors 68020

ha ha...sorry about that. Let us know what they say though!

4. rezonat0r macrumors 6502

Yeah, unfortunately there really is no perfect notebook display. Desktop LCDs seem to be more consistent overall, and there is more room for error in those form factors.

I've seen quite a few MBP screens and while some are better than others, none were that great.

For a technically "perfect" notebook screen we are talking about a:
    1) Backlight with perfect edge-to-edge luminosity
    2) Backlight with perfect color uniformity (the "whites" being equally white all around, LED is definitely a step forward over CCFL in this regard)
    3) Light spreader with perfect uniformity and no edge bleed (very difficult given the .5" or so of margin around the panel)
    4) LCD panel with perfect color uniformity (impossible given the 3-layer structure of the panel itself. Each layer cannot be perfectly spaced out from the other 2)
    5) LCD panel with no dead pixels

Lot's of stuff to go wrong. Basically LCD technology sucks, but in general it's the best we got right now.