What can the Apple Watch do without internet?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by kerosene, Mar 21, 2015.

1. kerosene macrumors regular

Serious question.

I travel a lot internationally, unless within range of WiFi or when unavoidable I don't do data roaming due to the horrendous cost.

So, what good would the Apple Watch do me over a conventional watch when there's no internet connection?

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

This has been talked about many times in many thread. In a nutshell, you must be paired to an iPhone to access the internet. If your iPhone doesn't have internet access then neither does your :apple:Watch.

Without your iPhone you can:

• Use watch/timer/alarm features
    • Count steps
    • Use :apple:Pay
    • Listen to locally stored music through BT
    • Look at local stored pictures

May be a couple of other minor things.

3. Ries macrumors 68000

The same things as your phone + heart rate. It is basically a remote for the phone.

4. kerosene thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, could think of a few more things it probably could do when paired with an iPhone but not connected to internet:

- GPS, but no maps
    - call alerts
    - sms

Anything else?

----------

Think you're right, only thing that's not somehow a doubling up of the iPhone would be heart rate monitoring...

5. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

I think that if it's paired with the phone but no internet, it would do almost if not everything.
    You'd be able to get your calls, messages, music, GPS including maps, and it would do everything the watch can do without being paired. It might be an issue for some third party apps, but more or less it would work as advertised.

6. kerosene thread starter macrumors regular

GPS including maps, how? Don't they always load on demand? And messages yes but only sms.

7. PhiLLoW macrumors 6502

There a "offline navigation maps" who don't have to load the maps again and again.

8. kerosene thread starter macrumors regular

Working with Apple Maps, Google or other third party? Will work with AW? Haven't heard of before.

9. PhiLLoW macrumors 6502

check out the following apps in the AppStore for iOs:

CoPilot GPS
    Navigon
    TomTom
    Navfree
    City Maps 2 Go Pro
    MAPS.me

I don't think any of these apps cache Apple Maps or Google Maps data. Both companies want you to stay connected to their servers so they will definitely block offline access / caching / downloading.

10. walshy1009 macrumors regular

walshy1009

It turns into a brick...

11. bushman4 macrumors 68000

Turn on Aiplane Mode on your iPhone and turn off WiFi and that's what your AppleWatch will be able to do

12. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

My bad. I think you're right about not being able to get maps. I also think you wouldn't get iMessages. I also think that you wouldn't be able to send the fancy watch messages, as I think that goes over the internet.

13. KauaiBruce macrumors 6502a

KauaiBruce

I'm heading off to Europe a few weeks after I hope to have my Watch. AT&T has a nice new travel plan that for $30 for 30 days will give me unlimited texting and enough data for simple maps when I want them. I will be doing a LOT of biking and walking so I want to get that tracked.

I will change my phone message to tell people to text me.

Now all I have to figure out is how to use offline maps.

14. kerosene thread starter macrumors regular

Except that no data roaming isn't the same as no roaming - off course I'm using that abroad to receive/make calls and sms. It's just data roaming that's crazy expensive.

Seems there's not a lot the AW would do without internet. Could be frustrating to simply use as a watch and call/sms announcer. There's plenty of useful apps for the iPhone that don't need internet, can't think of any on the AW except date/time where it's nicer to have a glance at the wrist than look at your phone.

Questionable if it makes sense to buy for me...thanks for the replies.

15. aawil macrumors 6502a

aawil

After a road trip through europe a few years ago I started looking for ways to keep connected regardless of where I am. I ran into a story about the knowroaming sticker that goes on your sim card and can be setup to roam anywhere. I really haven't used it yet but I'm ready for the next trip with it. I had a hard time finding a sim card that would fit a 4S in Croatia.

16. kerosene thread starter macrumors regular

Envy the people in the US for not having to bother with these things from Eastcoast to Westcoast. So many countries in Europe and while most are in the European Union, each country has their own carriers that are milking roamers as much as they can, even if they belong to the same parent company (e.g. Vodafone).

17. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

I don't think Apple Pay would be usable without the iPhone/Internet. Pay API works like Wallet (google) API and requires a connection to ultimately charge the user's card at the time of purchase to process the transaction.

That being said I intend to use my :apple:watch as what it is: a great watch to use everyday all day without necessarily needing everything else.

18. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Apple seems to think you can.:D

[​IMG]

19. kerosene thread starter macrumors regular

Yep, cool feature, seems enough if the terminal has connectivity - same as with an ordinary credit card.

20. aawil macrumors 6502a

aawil

I thought they were pushing a law in the EU that would allow roaming in all countries without extra fees or something like that. I'm not sure if it's been implemented. I think they have better coverage in europe than in the US, not to mention cheaper service. It's the same with cable internet, my friends in Poland have the triple plan cable, phone and internet and pay 99zl. Here it's 3 times as much.

21. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Yes, the :apple:Watch just supplies it's stored random token in place of a real CC number. This is a much different system than Google Wallet and is passive and requires no internet connection.

22. kerosene thread starter macrumors regular

It's becoming better compared to a few years back when carriers could, and did, charge what they want. The European Commission first asked operators to regulate themselves, which they didn't do, and then implemented a stage system with the goal of abandoning roaming charges alltogether. However as with all things EU, this is a painfully slow process. So roamers are still the golden geese here, while you may be right that competition in some countries can be good for local consumers.

http://ec.europa.eu/digital-agenda/en/roaming-tariffs

23. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

This may be the first time I've ever heard of anyone from the EU envying us in the US with regards to wireless carriers.

Might be slow, but at least at some point it will happen. The only reason roaming is bearable in the US is because the major carriers got big enough to blanket most of the country.

24. kerosene thread starter macrumors regular

Carrier quality in my experience is usually better in Europe. Couldn't believe the number of dropped calls I had in the States, especially in NYC. Almost never happens in most places I know in Europe. However my experience from the US is from over a year ago, hopefully it's improved since.

25. Dmaynard83 macrumors 6502a

Dmaynard83

After traveling in Rome, Paris and Stockholm I think carrier quality is much better in the usa.

I'm on Verizon and we have LTE everywhere in Los Angeles and NYC. When going to those cities in Europe the best I had was 3G.