What Can we infer from yesterdays event?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lifeguard90, Oct 21, 2010.

1. lifeguard90 macrumors 6502a

As the following portion from an website article, can we view theses as clues for a upcoming MB & MBP refresh with SB in early 2011. Jan would be 9 months, right in between apples longer 10 month span and its usual 8month. I don't see waiting until March or April being that would be a year.

The company said that the next generation notebook are faster, more reliable, lighter and smaller. The notebook will be available in 11-inch and 13-inch models and weight 2.3 pounds, making it Apple’s lightest and most portable notebooks ever.

The MacBook Air is the first of a new generation of notebooks that leaves behind mechanical rotating storage in favor of solid state flash storage. Jobs said that the company has taken what it learned with the iPad.

Read more: http://www.beaconequity.com/top-tec...eils-latest-macbook-2010-10-20/#ixzz12zyZgRk4

So flash storage seems like a new trend, possibly inferring flash to come to mbp or standard ssd. Screen res, graphics power all are great for the Air now, so the Pro line needs a kick back up to show a difference, hence "pro" Graphics cards along with SB new ability to perform graphics outstandingly.

What are your thoughts/ and when?

2. Blues003 macrumors 6502

With the USB-to-install-OS X given with the MBA, the emphasis on its lack of Optical Drive, and the Mac Store, I can see the Optical Drive being taken out of Macbook Pros. Jobs was never too keen on physical support of content.

This would allow longer battery life, and more importantly in the 13'' MBP, a dedicated GPU. In all honesty, the 13'' size already allows it, Apple just won't redesign the Logic Board because that might have costs. :(

Another option for that piece of empty space would be a second SSD, just to boot the OS X and Apps quickly. However, I find both that and SSD-Flash Drives unlikely to be in the next revision, because it's still expensive technology.

The next revision is likely to feature higher-res screens as well. (since the MBA already does)

Sandy Bridge could finally mean iX CPUs in the 13'' MBP models, and USB 3.0 in every model.

Last but not least, a curious note: Apple usually alternates between 'Major' and 'minor' updates. The Mid-2010 was Major, but switching to Sandy Bridge's architecture in January would make it two Majors updates in a row. Maybe the better optional CPUs on the 15'' and 17'' MBPs can be interpreted as a minor update/hint from Apple?

3. tim100 macrumors 65816

what about the black boarder and glass over the screen?

4. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

Optical Drives will still be around for a while. Until all of this DRM stuff gets under control and people can manage their content on their own... there will be a need for it. Many people watch movies on their Laptops etc... and need the drive to do that.

Also, much software is distributed via DVD. The cost for software companies to move from a DVD which costs them pennies to USB drives is going to chop ino their margins. Lets not forget that USB Drives can be erased and then everything is gone... how do you store a pile of USB drives?

I agree it will happen where we move away from Optical drives... I just think it is a while off. Too many obsticles right now.

5. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

we can infer that the next generation(s) of MBP's will be lighter, thinner and less ugly

6. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I am just thrilled they did not announce anything I NEED or Want ... including OSX Lion

but the MBA users have waited a long time, so congrats on a nice offering