What CAN'T an iPad do in combo with an iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Thessaly, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Thessaly macrumors newbie

I currently have a MacBook Air 13" which I bought in my first year of university because it was sexy and light and I could run around with it everywhere. I'm a writing major so there's nothing crazy or technical I find myself doing, and I liked the convenience of having a light laptop since I'm a weakling :)

I received an iPad for Christmas, and since then I've found that my MacBook Air only leaves my computer desk for the occasional trip to my parents house. The laptop feels redundant because the iPad is permanently sitting in my purse, ready to go.

If I buy an iMac and use it in combination with my iPad, what will be my limitations? Has anyone else using this combo found any huge problems or road blocks? I still have an external HDD for file sharing and the like, and a bluetooth keyboard for typing.

Thanks for any recommendations! I'd be choosing between the basic iMac or a 15" MacBook pro if I couldn't live without the portability of a laptop.

2. JakeyStyle macrumors newbie

Ipad/mac

I use ths combination and find it works perfctly. I type longer things on the Mac and use it for the odd spreadsheet. Other than that the ipad does most of the other stuff (browsing,mail,reading,Skype). We've also just set up a NAS with all our media,back ups etc and connect to that via WebDav using Readdle Doc and occasionally connect to the Mac on the iPad using My Mac.

Hope this helps

3. Navdakilla macrumors 65816

I had almost the exact same situation a year ago and made the switch to a 27" iMac. I love the combination.
    Only times I find it limiting is when:

- I'm far away from my Mac for long periods, like travelling, and I can't get everything I want done on my iPad
    - when I'm out with the iPad and I need full computing power to do what I need to do. Such as doing a full spreadsheet, or downloading something.

I don't miss having a MacBook often, but I do sometimes. With that being said the iPad does 98% of the things I need to get done. So overall I like the switch.

4. Caliber26 macrumors 68000

Caliber26

I have to agree. The iMac + iPad combination is great! The iPad basically does everything I need and it offers portability and battery life that is second to none.

The only time I get on my iMac is to run updates or sync new data to my iPhone and iPad.

5. Storkaas macrumors newbie

Storkaas

maybe i'm stupid or old-fashioned, but the MacBook Pro is my go to device for all work related things. a little extra weight ok, but no limitations :)