What can't I delete off a new Macbook Pro???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by timtulip, Jan 12, 2011.

1. timtulip macrumors newbie

Hi all,

i've got one old macbook pro (bought it new at the start of 2008), 15inch jobbie. I use it at the moment for everything; web browsing, downloading hideous amounts of music (for dj use), music production (ableton etc) and also djing off (native instruments traktor pro).
    It's just not cutting it, the poor old thing is noticably slow when it comes to running traktor, i have to have the latency on the soundcard really high and run everything on the lowest quality imaginable. This still effects the sound quality, even though i've optimised it as much as possible.

So i'm getting a new macbook pro 15.4 i7. But i will be using it only for Ableton and also for djing with (Traktor). I want to wipe pretty much everything else off it, it's just not going to be needed. But i'm worried there's something important that i will wipe off it.

What is a big no-no to delete?

Any help is much appreciated!

tim.

2. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

It's not going to make much of a difference to the performance (if any at all) if you delete a few unused files. I could go into technicalities but it could even in fact decrease performance (because of mild fragmentation).

That said, I don't know what comes installed nowadays. Preview, Quicktime, Safari. Much easier with a list of your files.

3. timtulip thread starter macrumors newbie

cheers for the reply.

so you think it would be better just leaving on there what comes with whatever system i end up getting (i don't think it would be worthwhile waiting for lion to come out or to see what the new hardware will be as all i need is a 15inch with the i7) as long as i don't clog it up with extra crap? (that's what the old macbook pro will be used for)