What can't the iPad do???

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by ipadtruth, Sep 30, 2010.

1. ipadtruth macrumors newbie

It's funny how everyone has their list of ipad's limitations... Just because apple doesn't advertise certain features, doesn't mean they are incapable. Ipads have flash, multi-tasking, myfi, wireless file sharing between computers (macs and P.C.s) the list goes on... My challenge is to find something a computer or other device is capable of doing that the jailbroken iPad can't. Anything camera related aside of course since the camera doesn't come out till the iPad 2.

Good luck! And I can't wait to hear what my iPad gets do next!

2. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

3. ipadtruth thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes my iPad has had flash for over a month now. Its not perfect but I'd say about 80% of flash works. Mostly only complex games don't work but as far as simple games, videos and advertisements go it works perfect! Just google 'how to get flash on jailbroken iPad' and you'll be watching flash from your iPad in minutes!

4. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

u forgot to include play my SNES emulator with my wii classic controller. :D

5. ipadtruth thread starter macrumors newbie

Lol nice! Ya there's alot I didn't include....not because I forgot but because I don't wanna spend all day typing iPad features lol

6. mrathee macrumors 6502

The issue isnt that it physically cant do something but rather that it cant do something efficiently.

I am a graphic designer, I have a MBP and an iPad. I have tried countless different ways to design on the iPad. (photoshop app, lesser known drawing apps, remote desktop to the MBP to design through photoshop) but the issue remains:

I can work 5-10x faster with the MBP than the ipad.

Ive noticed that most of the issues people have are that pc's, laptops, etc can do things better or more efficiently than the ipad, and there certainly is no denying that.

7. ipadtruth thread starter macrumors newbie

I know it's a stupid question but whats MBP? lol

Haha nvm lol mac book pro duh... Ignore me :)

Well ya the MacBook's are amazing there's no doubt about that!

8. oli356 macrumors 6502

macbook pro

Oops, didn't see the edit! Tiredness ftl :p

9. i-am-waiting macrumors member

The games that run in iOS (especially natively) are very often not to my liking. I like first-person shooters and iOS is lacking in that section at the moment, especially for online multiplayer. I know that there are a couple that boast an online multiplayer but they just aren't as compelling to play as much as console or pc (MacBook) games. Gameloft are one of the main companies to develop large games for iOS and i very much dislike their AI, it seems very repetitive, easy, boring and it makes games such as Sandstorm: Modern Combat and N.O.V.A seem very similar. Not how they should be, they should be very different but as the AI are the same as always i just don't enjoy it. I feel alot of gaming on iOS isn't actually enjoyable, and what's the point in that?

I find the iPad too large for gaming properly or for a prolonged period of time. I find the controls too awkward, even though the accelerometer in iDevices is a good addition into gaming, it seems that larger games use it more for a gizmo feature and i hate racing games due to the fact that i suck beyond belief at them.

10. ipadtruth thread starter macrumors newbie

Have you tried splinter cell? Its a decent first person shoot... So is resident evil 4 and zombies. But I agree that the racing games on os need some work cuz well ya I suck hard at them too .. NFS shift was the first game I played on my ipad so I played it for a while. It's just hard at first with the slow cars. Once you get farther into the game and unlock faster cars it becomes much much easier to control. Also very happy with grand theft auto Chinatown. The driving part is kinda tuff but other than that it's awesome,! I don't know if you like football but madden 11 gets a 5 outta 5 as far as iPad games go...

Of course controls will be awkward cuz it's new... I thought the N64 controller was the stupidest idea until I got used to it... Same goes with xbox controllers. Once your hand eye coordination gets better and you no longer need to look where your pressing (I guess that isn't really hand/eye lol more hand/memory) the games become much funner... I find most games that use the accelerometer suck lol. I got top gun (fighter jets) and it would be an awesome game if the plane wasn't always stuck at the bottom of the screen lol

11. shotts56 macrumors 6502

I think you're being a tad fanboyish there ... the vast vast majority of flash videos do not work with Frash, as admitted by the dev.

You make some good points, but you devalue all your comments with that one piece of nonsense. The iPad is a great piece of kit, but the inability to watch videos on the BBC and a million & one other websites is what badly lets it down.

12. vw195 macrumors 6502

man I agree... Jobs just needs to take a deep breath and welcome adobe back into the family. I think he will cause Flash isnt going anywhere soon and android (and maybe WM7) truly has a leg up, by being able to surf the entire web

13. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

The iPad is not able to play videos thatyou purchase through the iTunes store on a regular TV via VGA cable...how dumb is that?

14. Coukos34 macrumors 6502

It sucks but I can see why. They want you buying an Apple TV instead. Sad but true

15. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

You are right, but what needs to be kept in mind is that all software on the iPad is a mere few months old right now, while the software on your Mac has been through many years of development.

Give the iPad's graphic design software another year and then we'll see how it compares. The ability to perform graphic work on the iPad isn't poor because it's an iPad but because the software is immature. Ultimately, a multitouch screen should be able to fly past a mouse in terms of graphical work productivity time. I think we're just waiting for the first major graphical software package that really pushes the iPad to its limits. :)

shotts56- you can view BBC videos using the BBC news app. if you mean iPlayer, it works natively on iPad too.

16. shotts56 macrumors 6502

Unfortunately all of the Scottish football highlights packages are only on the BBC website, they are not considered important enough to make it over to the BBC News app.

As they are flash videos, there remains no way to watch Scottish football highlights on an iPad, despite them being owned by the country's public service broadcaster.

All of their other football content is the same.

17. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

Hmm... sounds like a problem with the BBC. They should not be providing it *only* in one, proprietary format. Have you tried emailing them to complain? The BBC tend to be quite good with mobile platform support these days.

18. mrathee macrumors 6502

I would even doubt that a year would allow for enough development to create a comprehensive design program on the iPad.

Photoshop has been around since, what, the early 90's? They still haven't gotten it all right.

Plus, the iPad is not capable of running high end graphics programs - it simply cant handle the hardware strain - I would be beyond surprised if a full fledged (and usable) design program was made available for the iPad before the 3rd or 4th product revision.

19. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think it's actually since the movie studios don't want Apple to let you play their content over any connection that isn't HDCP compliant, which VGA is not.

20. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

The one thing it really lags is some sort of sandbox style file system for when you want to attach a picture to a forum or Amazon, Craigslist and such were they don't allow you to use a URL.

Other then that I love the iPad for everything else.

21. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

then why can you play the exact same movie through netflix on your TV via apple ipad through VGA connector?

22. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

Photoshop 1.0 released after two years of small development, and ran on much slower systems than an iPad. Of course we're not going to get Photoshop CS5 on the iPad, but I think it's very possible we'll see something along the lines of Photoshop 4 or 5 in a year from now.

I mean just look at Sketchbook Pro — it launched alongside the iPad, so it's definitely not taking full advantage of the hardware yet, but the developers are constantly updating it with huge functionality such as layers and tools. I've tried it for graphic design and, while you're still right that nothing is currently available to make it worth replacing a traditional computer just yet, it surprised me how capable it was; It's only really missing a few basic functions (being custom brushes, layer blending options, and support of larger resolutions) and then I could easily see it being comparable to a version of Photoshop from the late 90's / early 00's.

I am hugely impressed by what we have in such a short space of time, and I do believe it's a matter of a few more features and some hardware tweaks to bring graphic design suites on the iPad up to that of an early 00's PC. After that, I think we'll only need one more year and a 2nd gen iPad to have a graphics tablet that, in many ways, rivals a modern desktop computer running Photoshop.

Is is just my opinion though, as both a designer and iPad user. We'll ultimately have to wait and see though.

23. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I didn't realize that you could, so it could be that Apple is just being annoying, but I still think it's the movie studio's fault, and the reason netflix works is that Apple isn't responsible for the DRM on that video.

24. ajax43 macrumors regular

Take pictures...make phone calls.... I keed, Ikeed! I love my ipad.

25. foiden macrumors 6502a

It can't.

Do
    Do your work
    Do your dirty clothes, laundry
    Do
    Do those deeds
    but you're the one who's blamed. (for not doing them)

Sad but true.