Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

novetan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
My com storage is 2TB. Do I only need to get a external 2TB hard disc for TM or the storage has to be more. If more, how much more?

adib

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2010
Singapore
Another rule of thumb is that don't share the same partition with other data. I experienced a number of times that an improperly unmounted Time Machine drive developed filesystem errors beyond repairs (and had to reformat).

Another is that you shouldn't depend Time Machine to archive things for you. Keep another drive for archival purposes (or at least another partition).

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
My com storage is 2TB. Do I only need to get a external 2TB hard disc for TM or the storage has to be more. If more, how much more?

It depends on how full the 2 Tb drive is, and how frequently you update or change files on it. 4 Tb would be more than enough for most people. My old iMac had a 1 Tb drive and I used a 1.5 Tb drive for Time Machine. Over the course of several years, I only used about 800 Gb of the TM drive.

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK
There's a comprehensive guide on Time Machine by James Pond and it's the best resource on Time Machine out there. He states "A general "rule of thumb" is, to keep a reasonable "depth" of backups, Time Machine needs 2 to 4 times as much space as the data it's backing-up (not necessarily the entire size of your internal HD)."

Would highly recommend checking it out: http://pondini.org/TM/1.html

Reactions: hobowankenobi

novetan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
There's a comprehensive guide on Time Machine by James Pond and it's the best resource on Time Machine out there. He states "A general "rule of thumb" is, to keep a reasonable "depth" of backups, Time Machine needs 2 to 4 times as much space as the data it's backing-up (not necessarily the entire size of your internal HD)."

Would highly recommend checking it out: http://pondini.org/TM/1.html

Tks for the links. I hv gone thru it and very informative.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Technically, you only need as much space as you are trying to back up or as much as your main drive can hold. Your system has caches worth gigabytes and other things that are never backed up. Thus a 2 TB drive would be enough to make a backup for a 2 TB system. The only reason why you should use more is to make use of snapshots. Depending on your disk usage, filling up the remaining space can take weeks or months or even just an hour if you make very big changes.

I only use a ratio of 1:1.2 of my drive’s size, as my main disk is never filled anyway and I don’t really need the snapshots, aside from a buffer for system upgrades. I still have two months worth of snapshots.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.