What capacity iPhone to get... given iCloud?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tl01, Oct 6, 2011.

1. tl01 macrumors 65816

I can't decide which size iPhone to get and i don't have much time to decide. I have unlimited data from AT&T. I already have a .me account so I plan to use iCloud. Will my phone still store photos and videos on it or will they just be in the Cloud? Will the cloud always have a back up for me and where will the non-Cloud version be? If I want to see the photos on my computer or iPad or iPhone, will they be downloaded then... or actually on the device?

Thanks!!

2. knoxtown macrumors 6502

Same situation here. Still on the At&t unlimited, so I'm just going to get the 16gb. I'm going to buy a Nano and the watchband with the money saved haha :apple:

3. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_10 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E600 Safari/6533.18.5)

Will you be adding music videos podcast? How big is your iTunes collection? Do you have a lot of photos? Are you gonna download lot of apps? If big and big and yes go for higher gb models will pay off over two year upgrade period

4. JLemm macrumors regular

depends on how many apps/songs/photos you store on the phone... no one can tell YOU what one to get.. YOU have to decided.

5. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

There's at least half a dozen active threads on this topic in the first three pages, it all boils down to "it depends". I'm getting the 64GB because I want plenty of room to make use of the 1080p video recording capability without having to get on wifi every 20 minutes to offload video files.

6. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Yes, your devices will store photos, videos, music, and other content until you remove it manually or run out of space. In the meantime, it should sync with iCloud regularly as well.

Yes, iCloud will backup your settings daily. iTunes will still save a backup via wireless sync (I believe). You should be able to restore from either should an emergency happen.

Both. Photo Stream will allow access latest 1,000 photos on each device with iCloud enabled. You can download them to the device if you wish to save them locally. If you have a Mac, it will retain all of your photos for storage (in iPhoto).

7. tl01 thread starter macrumors 65816

I get that... but I'm trying to understand if iCloud will affect my storage usage. I can easily fill my 16GB with my current iPhone 4. But I'm wondering if the phone will still store the photos on the phone or only in the Cloud. This is what will affect my decision. Once I understand that, I can make my educated choice.

I use about 5GB for music, a few GB for apps, and the rest are photos and videos I take.

----------

No podcasts or music videos. If I have time to watch something somewhere then I bring my iPad.

----------

To use photo stream will we need to have wifi access?

----------

To use photo stream will we need to have wifi access?

8. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

It has to be 32 or 64 for me this time. I've had 16gb for the past few times and I'm limited to the amount of music I can have on my phone. All my tracks are 320kbs so I have around 785 on my phone now and have 1.7gb spare with around 280mb being taken up by apps and photos.

9. dcjustme macrumors newbie

This is why I don't know if I should get 16 or 32. How much space does a 20 minute video take up? I won't need to keep many videos on there, but I'll probably take a lot. Thoughts/suggestions?

(I'd get the 32 without a thought if money wasn't tight)

10. forza69 macrumors 6502a

forza69

I was thinking about getting the 16GB 4S as well but I've decided to get the 32GB instead just because of the 1080p recording. Plus I have a ton of music in my iTunes library that I have to keep removing from my iPhone 3GS because 16GB is not enough to have everything I want (apps, music, video). I'm also selling my 3GS for 100+ dollars so it makes up for the extra money spent on the 32GB.

11. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

12. Hmm macrumors regular

Hmm

I think that the main features of iCloud were the wireless syncing and syncing across multiple devices. I don't really get the impression that it was meant as a substitute for local storage on your device. Certainly, there will be times when you are not in network range or end up on slow/unreliable networks and want to access content on your phone. I'm going with a 64GB myself.

13. p1ally macrumors regular

p1ally

I don't use my phone for music (I mainly use rhapsody and pandora), but I can easily fill my phone with photos and videos. My past 2 phones have been 16gb, and I think that'll be fine again this time around. But for you, I would go 32gb.

14. dieburnbot macrumors 6502a

dieburnbot

I would get the largest you can afford, because if you are somewhere without internet access (airplanes, coverage dead spots, etc) you might not be able to access your stuff on the cloud or at the speed you would like. That's just me though.

I'm getting a 64 GB, because my current 32GB is packed with 5 MP photos and 720P video that I took. I know doing 8 MP and 1080p is going to need even more room.

15. blockburner28 macrumors 6502

blockburner28

16. NoHo macrumors 6502

Unless you're on an unlimited data plan, I would get the 64gb.