What Capacity would be best?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by npolly0212, Sep 17, 2016.

1. npolly0212 macrumors 65816

Hey all, Looking at selling my galaxy and picking up a 7+.

Just don't know if the 32 gb will cut it for me or not.

Have quite a few apps that I use on a daily basis and have quite a few photos (not too concerned if they are on my iCloud account or phone and whatnot) but also have bout 8 gb of music.

Just figured I would see what you guys think as of needing to have a certain amount of gb to update it and whatnot.

2. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

3. jk4lebron23 macrumors 65816

jk4lebron23

Do yourself a favor and get the 128GB, there's nothing like trying to take a picture or even send a text and your phone says it's too full

4. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

5. npolly0212 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you guys, Thats what I was leaning towards, just wasn't sure what would be best. I have never run into he problem of not enough storage so just wanted to check what you guys thought!

6. rainafterthesun macrumors 6502

rainafterthesun

If you're going to upgrade your iPhone every year; take advantage of streaming (instead of loading that 8gb) and online cloud services like google pictures, flickr or iCloud...you can theoretically get away with a 32 (ESP since you can delete most native apps installed) without sacrificing quality IF you don't have too many apps, use messengers like wechat or WhatsApp extensively.

Heck, even upgrading your iCloud to 50gb on a monthly subscription for a year won't be the same as the $100 difference.

However, if you're planning to keep the phone for a good two or three or even four years. 128 at the very least, maybe 256.

Between the photos and videos (which will take a lot of storage), you also have the occasional system update that will be a few hundred MB to 1-3GB. Then you have app updates that will also take further storage...

7. npolly0212 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah that is the problem. I use quite a bit of apps. Have multiple for my CSCE classes with my group projects (Slack, Github, groupie, whatsapp, Facebook messenger and tons of others lol)
    Thats why I am thinking the 128 gb..I already invest in the .99 cent a month iCloud service. kind of a no brainer! lol
    I appreciate the post and getting into detail for me. But honestly I normally upgrade every year or 2

8. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I know it's not an exact comparison, but how much are you using in the note? My wife went from 128 to 32. She was using about 40 gigs but 31 of those were video and photos; she just never deleted anything. We opted for 32 to save the $100 since she insists on health upgrades. 16 wouldn't have been enough but 32 should work. She may have to clear some photos around 6 months in.

9. npolly0212 thread starter macrumors 65816

What do you mean in the note?

10. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Did I misunderstand? You said you used a Samsung note?

Edit: wow. Seems I did. I guess I need a break lol.

11. npolly0212 thread starter macrumors 65816

Oh I have a galaxy s7 edge. Had me confused! lmao

But i literally got it about 2 weeks ago and haven't even really set anything up on it...Absolutely hate it

12. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Ah ok. Well I was sort of close haha. Anyway I'd base it in what you had before. If money isn't an issue I guess go big but I hate to recommend buying bigger just for the hell of it. If you insist on local music storage that might effect your longevity. Without music I suspect most people could handle 32gb

13. npolly0212 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah Mine is about 1000 songs and 8-9 GB of music, but I use so many apps its ridiculous so don't think the 32 would fit to the point of being able to do any updates without deleting stuff lol

14. tperry macrumors regular

tperry

I've always been of the philosophy of buy the biggest you can afford. That way, if you need the space you have it. It's always better than needing the space and not having it.

15. npolly0212 thread starter macrumors 65816

Thats what I was thinking. Just figured I would see what others did and opinions! :)

16. golfnut1982 macrumors regular

golfnut1982

Google Photos is FREE and unlimited. Syncs camera roll to cloud, movies too.

17. npolly0212 thread starter macrumors 65816

I never heard of this, thank you. will have to download it!