What car should I buy?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by millertime021, Sep 4, 2010.

1. millertime021 macrumors 6502a

millertime021

So, I currently own a 1989 Jeep Wrangler with 4" lift on 35's. I love it to death and I'll never sell it. However, I now drive over 22 miles a day for work and school and what have you. The only problem with that is I get 8-12 miles per gallon.

I don't mind the cost too much as its always fun to drive, but I'm thinking about purchasing a second car for commuting. It would basically be a car to drive to work and school on weekdays and I'd end up selling it in a year or two.

Price range is about $8000 USD down. Preferably $5000 USD or under.
    Looking for about 20mpg or better.

Any suggestions?

Also, I prefer American made cars and, being 19, something a little "cooler" or different. I don't care about mileage or year.

Furthermore, smart assery is enjoyed as long as there are some real suggestions as well.

Thanks guys!

tl;dr Fuel efficient vehicle under $5000

2. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Sorry. I'm not an American, and have absolutely no idea what this means.

Do you want to spend $8000, or $5000? You're probably not going to find many fuel efficient American cars for $5000, which would probably get you a 10-15 year old American car. A budget of $8000 would give you a few good options, I think.

3. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

EDIT: Shame on me for not reading your post and only the title... sorry.

Kia Forte Koup... VERY NICE. Decked out at about 19K. VERY sporty and civic SI -ish. Kia is trying to make a big name for themselves and they are progressing very nicely.

Not the best photo as far as showing the car off but I'm at work so just a quick google. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

4. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

his tl;dr states he wants a car for $5000. Don't think that'll do it.

5. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I'm not sure I understand your question. :confused:

6. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Ha! Maybe not in his price range but we have some pretty cool cars.

7. spblat macrumors 6502a

spblat

2000 Honda Civic. Not a car to fall in love with but it should do the trick for mileage, reliability and cost.

8. iMJustAGuy macrumors 68020

iMJustAGuy

As soon as I posted that I stated where I was wrong... did you not notice my first line in the post?

9. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

"$8,000 down", in general car buying parlance means he has to pay a minimum of eight grand at the date of purchase. Short for "down payment."

In this case, he's simply saying he's looking for something under $8,000. "$8k and under..." et al.. :)

10. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

Buy a Civic or Accord if you want fuel efficient and reliable. I know you like American cars, but there is a reason they depreciate so fast.

I ride an 09 ZX6R most days, but on the other days I drive a 1987 BMW 325is that I paid $2k for. It has 400k miles and is in immaculate condition. My girlfriend drives my 2001 BMW 325ix sedan with 160k miles on it as her daily. There are a lot of 'cool' cars you can get for under $5k as a daily, but unless you are really familiar with them it's going to be a nightmare for you... which is why I recommend the dead reliable Civics and Accords to people that are asking this question.

11. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

Older model Totyota Corollas, Honda Civics. I know you said you want American but I can't seem to think of any cars that fit your description with a cool factor. Maybe an older model Chevrolet Cavalier ?

12. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

A contour SVT? Kinda old though. Focus RS? GT Cruiser? lol

13. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I can't read either, apparently. :p

14. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

The New Ford Fiesta is $13K. That would be at your top end. Honestly, Ford makes the best American cars you can buy right now. Great quality, engines (Eco-Boost) and Sync. No other American car company comes close in my opinion and I've never like American cars before.

15. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

What does "American Built?" mean? Does a Ford Fiesta built in Mexico qualify? How about a BMW Z3 built in South Carolina?

16. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Is this city or highway commuting? I had a Ford Ranger 2WD that got 25 MPG highway, but, the city mileage was quite embarrassing. In my experience, Rangers are cheap and reliable, but, not for city driving.

(I'm looking for a good used Ford Escape Hybrid myself. I do a lot of city driving, but, still need a vehicle that can haul stuff on primitive roads.)

17. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I'm guessing he means that the majority of the money from the sale comes back into the US to an American owned company.

18. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I've had excellent experience with Fords myself, and, GM seems to make some pretty good intermediate-sized sedans. I've owned a couple of Toyotas, and, the Fords I've owned were just as reliable. I wouldn't buy a Chrysler - I have driven quite a few as rental cars and did not like them at all. YMMV.

19. millertime021 thread starter macrumors 6502a

millertime021

Hey sorry, I probably should have stated that I was looking for a used car.

Hence the price range. Thanks for all the feedback, I'm taking suggestions and actually thinking about what you guys have to say.

(Also, 500th post)

20. millertime021 thread starter macrumors 6502a

millertime021

Ford and what not. I think you know what I meant. :rolleyes:

Actually, I have looked at Ford Rangers and other small trucks. Basically, I drive on the freeway to work, but some days traffic makes it seem like I'm doing city driving. So basically, I'm looking for a 20 MPG average.

And I don't care how old it is either. Reliability is always good, but I can fix a lot of things myself after owning a Jeep for almost 2 years and counting. :D

21. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

Jeeps are fairly reliable as far as vehicle no longer moving stuff. That i6 is a total beast. ;)

22. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

23. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

i think he is talking about down payment. You need to pay a certain amount of money in order to get ownership of the car. any cost above what you payed as down payment will be your monthly payment + interest etc.

EDIT: Melrose beat me to it.

24. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

That's what I thought, but the next part of what he says, and the very last line of his post ("tl;dr Fuel efficient vehicle under $5000") kind of implied that he could put $8000 downpayment on a $5000 car. :p I thought I misread it, and he was using a slangy way of saying his budget was "under $8000".

Anyway, Ned Flanders drove a Geo Metro. :p Great fuel efficiency from a time when Americans didn't care much about fuel economy.

25. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I wish I still had my Ranger. I would go for a 4 cyl + 5 speed manual and maybe get 20 MPG overall. Manual transmissions are a drag in stop and go driving, but, the Ranger has a very nice manual. Lowest TCO I ever had in a vehicle.