What Car USB Charger/Adapters work with lightning cable?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by -FlyAuburn-, Sep 27, 2012.

1. -FlyAuburn- macrumors regular

I need something that will work in my car with the lightning to USB cable. I found an old USB car charger and it won't work with the lightning cable. Anyone know of one that will?

2. 8a22a macrumors 6502a

8a22a

3. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Received this one this week and it's been working great. Like the white color as well as it matches the cable.

4. MistaGavin macrumors member

MistaGavin

OP- Is there an issue with car chargers and the lightning cable, or is yours just broken?

5. chele519 macrumors regular

I've read some reviews/comments on these that say even the ones that say 2.1 don't charge at that rate because the phone sees it as USB instead of AC and doesn't draw enough. How can you tell if the phone is charging at USB or AC? I picked up a Belkin 2.1 but found a Staples that has the Scosche revolt in stock and I'm going to pick it up after work. Is there an easy way to see what rate the phone is charging at?

6. imazu macrumors regular

i have my old verizon wireless car charger that has a usb port and works for my iphone 5

7. cg006, Oct 1, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2012

cg006 macrumors regular

cg006

I bought this one after having a crappy Kensington that would loose connection...

Its PERFECT. Tiny adapter. Fits really tight in the portl so it doe snot loose connection and has a tiny white light to show it has power.

Used it with my iphone5 while using the Garmin app+playing Pandora over LTE. keeps my baby at 100%. I got mines at the apple store but you can also get it at amazon. Feels very high quality and just works:

Incase EC20037 Mini Car Charger

http://www.amazon.com/Incase-EC20037-Mini-Charger-iPhone/dp/B0061HBKO6

I also got this mount to go with it.. Awesome mount: http://www.amazon.com/ExoGear-Unive...=UTF8&qid=1349154390&sr=1-3&keywords=exomount

And this case.... awesome case :) http://www.amazon.com/Poetic-Atmosp...rds=poetic+atmosphere+case+for+apple+iphone+5
    ^^perfect trifecta right there

I advise you guys keep far from this one... its not wide enough for some cigarette lighters and and it will just loose the connection if you wiggle the power cable. Total waste of money...The 30pin cable was solid though. And mind you, its the same on both ports on my honda 06 accord. :)
    http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-K3...154161&sr=1-1&keywords=kensington+car+charger

8. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

No iPhone will charge at 2.1A.
    That's for the iPad only.
    The max that an iPhone will draw is 1A.
    1A on high, 500mA on low.

9. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

10. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Any car/USB charger that supplies at least 500mA will work with the iPhone/Lightning cable.
    Ideally though you want one that supplies 1A.

11. chele519 macrumors regular

Ok, I guess I'm confused then. Is the 1a what you get from the wall charger and 500 from the usb port on the computer? Some of the comments I read said that with some chargers, the phone did not recognize it as ac and would charge at the usb rate and if you were running the gps, the charger could not keep up and the battery would be drained. On Amazon there were instructions on how to short something together inside the charger to make it think it was ac and not usb.

I did pick up the Scosche on the way home last night but didn't try it yet. It does fit more snugly in the cigarette lighter opening though, the Belkin came out everytime I unplugged the cable.

12. Kelly682 macrumors regular

I have a cheap $5 adapter I bought at Five Below. Was using it for my old phone, plugged in the lightning cable. No problem! Works like a charm. ;)

13. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Yep.
    The Apple spec calls for chargers to use the two USB data wires to communicate with the i-device and tell it what its capacity is.
    The i-device then alters its draw accordingly.
    If the charger is not built to Apple's spec then the i-device defaults to the minimum 500mA for safety.

14. illippinno macrumors regular

illippinno

I bought a rayovac car adapter and wall plug combo at Walmart for roughly $12. Both works with the lightning cable.

15. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

I got an Adreama 2 port universal USB car charger.

Very small. 1 port is 1amp the other is 2.1. I can charge my iPhone 5 and iPad at the same time. Got it for $10 out of one of those large bins at Fry's.

Charges the iPhone 5 very fast. I'm quite pleased with it.

16. WarEagle16 macrumors member

Time

Does it seem to charge at the same rate as the wall option?

17. logicpro7 macrumors 6502a

18. tbayrgs macrumors 603

tbayrgs

Can't say I've sat with a watch and compared but to give you an idea, my battery was at 54% 40 minutes ago and it's now at 83%, all while streaming Pandora to my car via Bluetooth. Seems pretty snappy to me.

19. ahawks macrumors member

I have used the iSound car charger, it works for about 2 minutes then stop. I can not even use it with my iPhone 4.

20. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

21. compwiz1202 macrumors regular

I got the Griffin iTrip at Best Buy last night, and it works for the music and charging. There is also one that includes a mic for $10 more for handsfree.