What cards are available for a G5 PCI-X?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by THRobinson, Jul 19, 2010.

1. THRobinson macrumors member

THRobinson

I upgraded my G4 Mirror Drive system to a new(ish) G5 2Ghz DP system, which sadly has nothing but PCI-X slots. Other than possible server stuff, what can you do with them?

I was annoyed when I realized it... I had a PCI card in my G4 with four USB2.0 ports and was hoping to migrate it to the G5 but, apparently not. Unless there is a 'trick' to make it work... like making the 9600Pro work in my old G4 using tape and covering up pins etc.

2. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

I think you may have PCIe backward compatibility mixed up with PCI-X in this case. As long as its a newer PCI 2.x standard card, it'll work just fine.

3. THRobinson thread starter macrumors member

THRobinson

Well, from what I can tell my G5 M9032LL/A has PCI-X

The card I have is this model here... standard PCI rev 2.2 (I am assuming... found 1 site stating it was rev2.2... the rest say nothing at all)

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=SD-NECU2-5E1I&cat=CCD

However, works in the G4 MDD no probs, stick it in the G5 and the G5 won't even try to power on.

Sucks, because would be a waste of a good card which would have been useful in a system with only 3 USB ports. Keyboard, scanner, printer and no room for anything else.